Tag Archives 一品楼上海宝山信息网

Rooney backs Di Maria to come good

first_imgWayne Rooney has one message for Angel di Maria’s doubters: form is temporary, class is permanent. United beat off strong competition from some of Europe’s biggest clubs to sign Di Maria from Real Madrid last summer, but after a bright start, the £59.7milllion man has faded fast. The low point of his United career came on Saturday when, after a poor first-half performance, he was substituted at half-time during the 2-0 win over Sunderland. Press Association The Argentinian looked a pale imitation of the man who lit up the World Cup, made 17 assists for Real Madrid and was named man of the match in the Champions League final last year. Rooney is convinced Di Maria will be a success at Old Trafford, though. “It was one of those days that every footballer has,” the United captain said when asked about Di Maria’s performance. “He’s a great player. You don’t lose your talent overnight. Hopefully he’ll get back to his best and start giving some great performances. “I think he will figure it out, we all have to do that sometimes. You have to come to it in your own way and I am sure he will be a big player for us between now and the end of the season.” Once referee Roger East had taken the controversial decision to dismiss Wes Brown instead of John O’Shea after awarding a penalty to United, it seemed only a matter of time before the hosts secured victory. Rooney dispatched the spot-kick and added a second goal six minutes from time after Costel Pantilimon spilled Adnan Januzaj’s shot into his path. The goals were Rooney’s first in the Premier League since Boxing Day, although his ability to find the net has been inhibited in recent weeks as he has been playing in midfield. The England captain did not use Van Gaal’s complaint that he does not have a 20-goals-a-season striker as motivation. “No, not at all. Everyone knows I’ve played midfield for the majority of the season but my record shows that I score goals so I’m not worried about that at all,” Rooney said. “I was obviously pleased that the manager played me up front and delighted to get the two goals. “I respect his decision wherever he wants to play me. Hopefully I can kick on from here.” East came in for severe criticism for sending Brown off when it was clear O’Shea pulled Falcao back before the former England defender made contact with the striker. Sunderland have decided to appeal against the red card and hope that Brown will be available for Tuesday’s match at Hull. “I think it was a penalty but I just don’t think it was Wes,” said Rooney, who was stood a few yards away when Falcao hit the turf. “It was tough but I would imagine it will get rescinded. In our view it was a clear penalty.” The Sunderland fans may have been unhappy with East for dismissing Brown, but it was the home supporters who were restless in the first half. United’s build-up play was often laboured and their final ball poor. Some fans started yelling “Attack! Attack! Attack!” but Rooney thinks they must be patient at times. “The fans here are always brilliant – they want us attacking at every opportunity but you can’t do that all the time,” he said. “Sometimes you have to work the opposition to tire them out which towards the end is how you win games.” Van Gaal was happy with the win but refused to hand out too many plaudits. It was suggested to him that Ashley Young had played well on the wing, but he was reluctant to lavish too much praise on the former Aston Villa man. “He showed a lot of confidence today and I hope he can continue that. One game is not enough,” the Dutchman said. last_img read more

Syracuse men’s, women’s lacrosse final four tickets now available

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on May 20, 2013 at 4:29 pm Contact Phil: pmdabbra@syr.edu | @PhilDAbb Related Stories THEY’RE BACK: Syracuse pulls off furious comeback win against Yale to return to final four after longest absence since 1979Syracuse attack carries Orange into final four as Tumolo gets Carrier Dome farewellcenter_img Tickets are now available at the Carrier Dome Box Office and SUAthletics.com for the men’s and women’s 2013 NCAA Lacrosse Championships.The No. 1 Syracuse men’s team will play fourth-seeded Denver in the final four on Saturday at 5 p.m. at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. Tickets for the men’s championship are $110, plus a $7 order charge.The tickets include Saturday’s semifinal contests, the Division II and Division III championship games on Sunday, and the Division I title game on Monday afternoon. Seating priority is determined by 2011-12 Orange Club giving level, then by the date the order is received.The No. 4-seed Orange women’s team will face top-seeded Maryland in the national semifinals on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Villanova (Pa.) Stadium. Tickets cost $25 for adults and $15 for youth, as well as a $7 order charge. The tickets are good for both national semifinal games on Friday evening and Sunday night’s national championship game.Ticket packages for both men’s and women’s championships will become available for pickup at the Carrier Dome Box Office at noon Wednesday.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Commentslast_img read more

Heyen: Syracuse, despite flashes, didn’t reach its full potential

first_imgSALT LAKE CITY — At Syracuse’s Media Day in mid-October, SU head coach Jim Boeheim thought the Orange were ahead of where they’d been at the same point a season ago. All five starters returned from a Sweet 16 team. Elijah Hughes was eligible, and the freshman class showed promise.Thursday, though, SU’s season ended in the NCAA Tournament’s opening round. Syracuse had gone from ahead of the curve to falling short of the heights it had reached last year.“I think you are always disappointed when you lose in a tournament, if you think you had a chance to win,” Boeheim said. “We obviously had a chance to win the game tonight.”In the NCAA Tournament, seasons can end at the hand of one hot shooting night, much as SU’s did on Thursday. But the final loss alone isn’t what makes Syracuse’s season such a disappointment. The Orange had more talent than last year, but they ended two games and three wins short. They proved they could play with anyone in the country, but they never harnessed that enough. Syracuse didn’t reach its full potential.“We didn’t have the consistency from the beginning,” Boeheim said.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMore coverage:Tyus Battle ‘isn’t worrying about’ his future right nowSyracuse’s season ends in 78-69 NCAA Tournament defeat to BaylorHot shooting, Elijah Hughes and more takeaways from Syracuse’s season-ending loss Comments Published on March 22, 2019 at 2:19 am Facebook Twitter Google+ All the pieces were in place: A senior point guard in Frank Howard. Potential pros Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett. A 7-foot-2 center in the middle of the 2-3 zone. Sharp-shooters Hughes and Buddy Boeheim. A do-everything 6-foot-10 Marek Dolezaj.But when SU went to Madison Square Garden in November with a chance at two early-season statement wins, it left with none. Howard was still out with injury, and Connecticut and a then-ranked Oregon handled the Orange. A win two weeks later at then-No. 16 Ohio State with Howard back in the fold seemed to show everything was OK.It wasn’t. Old Dominion and Buffalo beat Syracuse twice in four days, both in the Carrier Dome. That put the Orange at a four nonconference loss mark that had never led to an NCAA Tournament-berth before. A loss to Georgia Tech in the Dome on Jan. 12 made the outlook even drearier.“A lot of times people counted us out certain games,” Hughes said on Thursday. “We knew we had a chance, and we went out and competed.”Then, Syracuse provided again a glimpse at the upside: 95 points at then-No. 1 Duke. Overcoming an early 14-2 deficit to beat the Blue Devils even as Zion Williamson dominated not only changed SU’s postseason resume but appeared to show that the Orange could beat anyone. But though Syracuse could knock off the best, it never did again with consistency.Buddy came into his own in ACC play, and Howard finally found his legs. Wins pretty much only came against expectedly worse foes, though, aside from a win over Louisville on a historically bad shooting night for the Cardinals.“We played pretty consistently in the league,” Boeheim said. “We beat the teams we were supposed to.”Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff PhotographerSU led Duke, North Carolina and Virginia at halftime all in the span of two weeks. Bad teams don’t lead three soon-to-be No. 1-seeds at the half often. But a team with Syracuse’s potential shouldn’t have blown all three. Buddy said the Orange had “great moments” in those games, but they were too infrequent.Brissett emphasized that the NCAA Tournament, a “new season” with everyone starting with the same record, gave the Orange a stage to show what they could really do. But all Syracuse revealed was that its most consistent identity was inconsistency. Inconsistent by no means equals bad. The highest of highs were glorious. No one else beat a healthy Williamson in Cameron this season, and an eventual NCAA Tournament team in UofL had its worst loss of its season against SU.There was never just one answer, though, for why that didn’t show up more often. Sometimes it was the centers or an inability to rebound. Other times, the Orange couldn’t overcome a slow night from Battle, or they failed to defend the 3-point shot. SU searched for an identity all season. Hughes speculated that it was “heart” in February. That wasn’t enough, though, and Syracuse’s warts too frequently showed larger than its skills.Giving his final postgame press conference of his 43rd season at the helm of SU, Boeheim called the year “solid.” Sure, the Orange overcame a nonconference loss total to get into March Madness that they never had before. But no one suits up to lose in the round of 64.“It just wasn’t the year I think we would have liked to have had,” Boeheim said.It wasn’t the year Syracuse had the potential to have, either.Billy Heyen is a senior staff writer for The Daily Orange where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at wmheyen@syr.edu or @Wheyen3.last_img read more

Advertising Association moves against GRH APPG radical reforms

first_img ASA monitoring sweep marks gambling as the worst underage advertising offender August 26, 2020 The Advertising Association (AA) has rejected the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Gambling Related Harm’s (GRH APPG) demand for a blanket ban on gambling advertising.The GRH APPG blanket ban demand forms part of the parliamentary group’s ‘30 evidence-based recommendations’ published this morning – calling for an overhaul of UK gambling laws and its governing structures. This afternoon, AA Chief Executive Stephen Woodford issued a statement underlining that the trade body for UK advertising professionals supported existing legislation and oversight of gambling advertising standards.“We believe a total ban is not necessary – such action has wide implications, particularly for the support of sports across media channels, something enjoyed by millions of people right across the UK,” read Woodford’s statement.Responding to the GRH APPG demands for a comprehensive regulatory overhaul, the AA stated that it has backed the UKGC and ASA in defining and amending the laws for gambling advertising.Woodford added: “The codes are under regular and rigorous review in line with the evidence. As new evidence emerges, the ASA and Gambling Commission consider this and amend the rules if they believe the evidence supports change.”The AA concluded that all gambling advertising stakeholders must fulfil their responsibilities to the highest standards to protect UK consumers both economically and socially Woodford concluded: “We ask all gambling operators and their agencies to continue to adhere to the strict standards set by the ASA and the Gambling Commission.  These rules clearly require gambling operators to be socially responsible and to protect the vulnerable, as well as under 18s.” Share Submit UK gambling adopts toughest online advertising code to protect underage audiences August 27, 2020 Share StumbleUpon UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Related Articleslast_img read more

Lakers’ Thomas Robinson tries to provide energy, whether he’s on court or not

first_imgLOS ANGELES >> As he sat patiently on the bench, Lakers forward Thomas Robinson remained unsure if and when he would step on the basketball court.With Lakers coach Luke Walton disgusted with his team’s energy, he turned to a source who has become as dependable as a backup battery. Robinson entered an eventual blowout loss against the Clippers last week and provided the kind of unyielding hustle his teammates lacked that night. That energy resulted in 16 points on 7-of-8 shooting and six rebounds in only 10 minutes.“I don’t want to say I proved a point,” Robinson said, grinning. “But hopefully I showed I’m capable of performing at this level when I play.”That kind of performance explains why Walton likes what Robinson has provided since the Lakers signed him to a non-guaranteed deal last summer. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers“He’s been one of our hardest workers all year,” Walton said. “He made the team by how hard he worked.”While Robinson’s energy is dependable, when he gets to provide it has become a guessing game. With the Lakers placing more of a priority on developing their recent draft picks, the 26-year-old Robinson entered Tuesday’s game against Washington with 33 healthy scratches. Some of those were the byproduct of Walton rewarding third-year forward Tarik Black for his own growth.“All I control is making sure I’m back in the gym working and make sure I’m giving my all when my number is called,” Robinson said. “That’s all part of being a pro. That’s my job description this year. It’s to be ready whenever my name is called. It’s probably not called when I want. But that’s my job description. So I have to come in here and do it.”Robinson hasn’t always accepted that reality.“His growth has come a lot in maturing,” Walton said. “I know there’s times he was playing really well and he stopped playing because he was frustrated and he was angry.” So, Walton explained his thought process to Robinson. He also instructed him to channel his energy into supporting his teammates from the bench, mindful it could become as infectious as the on-court energy he provides.“Luke’s been great,” Robinson said. “He’s been helping me a lot this year.”Because of that help, Robinson said he will “do anything possible I can to stay a Laker” once he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.“I’m trying to build my family here,” said Robinson, the No. 5 pick in the 2012 NBA draft who had short stints in Sacramento (2012-13), Houston (2013), Portland (2013-14), Philadelphia (2014-15) and Brooklyn (2015-16). “I would love to be here for a few years. Just be somewhere for a while.”center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more