Tag Archives 上海夜网MY

Hammers stand firm on Sakho

first_img Press Association “We’ve been in constant contact with the Senegal federation,” said McDonald. “There’s no way he can fly, he’s obviously injured and he’s going to miss the African Nations Cup because of his injury and we’re going to miss him because he’s injured. “We’ve been respectful, we’ve given them information and kept in constant contact with them. He’s injured. “We’ve asked them to come across and assess him. We’ve had independent scans done and scans from the club to prove the injury. “We’re not trying to stop anyone from going to represent their country.” Sakho had been due to join up with his national team on Tuesday and undergo assessment from the Senegal medical team but West Ham advised the striker against travelling. Senegal must, however, be allowed to carry out their own tests if they want to and the Hammers have invited the team’s doctors to fly to London and do so. FIFA rules also state: “A player who has been called up by his association for one of its representative teams is, unless otherwise agreed by the relevant association, not entitled to play for the club with which he is registered during the period for which he has been released or should have been released pursuant to the provisions of this annexe. Senegal Football Federation president Augustin Senghor accused the club of a “lack of respect” over Sakho’s withdrawal and said he would consult FIFA and the Football Association in a bid to prevent the player from appearing for West Ham during the tournament. The Hammers have since sent Senegal independent medical reports, as well as the club’s own examinations, to prove the extent of the injury. “This restriction on playing for the club shall, moreover, be prolonged by five days in the event that the player, for whatsoever reason, did not wish to or was unable to comply with the call-up.” Sakho, who has scored nine goals for West Ham since his summer move from Metz, first sustained the injury on international duty in November and suffered a recurrence against West Brom on New Year’s Day. McDonald was unsure about FIFA rulings regarding the striker’s availability but claimed the forward may not recover before the end of the African Nations Cup anyway, with the final scheduled for February 8. “I’m not 100 per cent sure about the rule, Senegal have announced the squad and Diafra isn’t in it,” McDonald said. “We’re not sure how long he’s going to be out anyway – he might not even be available before the end of the African Nations Cup.” “If that situation arises where he does recover earlier than expected, we’ll take advice.” Meanwhile, West Ham defender Winston Reid continues to be linked with a move away from the club in the January transfer window. Reid’s contract expires at the end of the season, when he would be allowed to leave for free, but McDonald believes it would take a sizeable bid to capture the 26-year-old this month. “Would a bid of £20m be enough? That sort of offer would make people think but we need him until the end of the season,” McDonald said. “He’s weighing up his options, we’ve been talking to him for a long time but he’s playing very well so it’s not affecting his performances.” West Ham, who sit seventh in the Barclays Premier League, visit Swansea on Saturday looking to register their first win in five matches. “Swansea have done fantastically well, they play some really good football but we’ve played them at home and we beat them,” McDonald said. “Wilfried Bony is at the African Nations Cup – he’s scored some great goals and he’ll be a big miss for them.” West Ham assistant manager Neil McDonald is adamant the club are right to have ruled Diafra Sakho out of the African Nations Cup, insisting the striker’s back injury is genuine.last_img read more

Why can’t BCCI produce good umpires?

first_imgNew Delhi: Sundaram Ravi, an umpire on the elite panel of the International Cricket Council (ICC), is considered good by world standards. Just like all the umpires, Ravi also made some outstanding decisions and fumbled at times.Poor umpires now cannot escape their omissions and commissions as the television cameras catch everything they do out in the middle. It was cruel to expose Ravi failing to spot a no-ball off the last delivery of a nerve-tingling Indian Premier League (IPL) match between Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and Mumbai Indians (MI) on Thursday.That one ball became contentious as an extra delivery could have given RCB a chance to win the match by hitting a six off the “free-hit”. Things were made worse for Ravi as the giant screen in the ground pointed to the no-ball and replayed it over and over to magnify the blunder.Ravi is not the only umpire who failed to spot a no-ball because of a variety of factors such as the bowler’s run-up, his jump and the delivery stride smudging the bowling crease. It is not to justify the mistake, but one bad call cannot be decide the competence of an umpire.When action-replays were introduced, the highly respected former India captain and international umpire Srininvas Venkatasraghavan once told the Australian media that the camera was not in the right position to judge a leg before decision whereas the umpire was since he was the nearest to the action.Should the Indian cricket board or the IPL Technical Committee take penal action against Ravi? Not many are in favour of that because if action is taken against the best umpire in the land, who had an off day or as Steve Smith might put it as “brain fade”, what about the scores of umpires whose incompetence goes unnoticed right through the cricket season at different levels?The worst affected by erroneous umpiring are the cricketers at junior levels as their careers get badly hit. What about action against the RCB skipper Virat Kohli, who made a spectacle of his disgust publicly for the cameras to pick? The point here is will the match referee report the captain’s behaviour to the authorities?Even the winning captain, Rohit Sharma, went along with Kohli as if to sympathise with his India skipper, pointing to the other umpire for calling a legitimate delivery a wide in the previous over.Do these great men take bad decisions in their strides without a murmur only in Tests and ODIs where the match referees are made of sterner stuff?At the end of it all, when one looks back at the way the umpires come through the selection process and the manner in which the postings are being made, it is nothing but a racket.Like academic examinations in some parts of the country, the umpiring tests are also marred by the leaking of theory papers and recommendations from powerful officials of the cricket board for candidates from their state units.The appointment of match referees, umpires and coaches/supervisors for first-class matches doesn’t appear to have had any positive impact. Umpires continue to make awful mistakes and get away with the help of the state officials.A chairman of the board’s umpiring panel got some nincompoops from his state promoted through the rungs and they are getting away with murder. His promotees include an umpire who failed the hearing test.One umpire, because of his proximity to the key Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) officials, used to threaten the match referees against mentioning his goof-ups in their reports.Another well-known international umpire made dozens of mistakes in a Ranji Trophy match, from leg before and caught-behind to run-outs. All he did was to plead with a board official to leave him with just a rap on the knuckles.Neither the board officials, nor the media take junior cricket seriously as none of these matches are watched by anyone except the players and their parents, who are sometimes accompanied by goons who ensure that their favoured players are helped by the umpires.Frankly, there are not enough umpires, leave alone qualified ones, to supervise the matches. And even the good ones are often under the pressure to please the powerful in the cricket board. If the BCCI cannot find good umpires, what is the use of all the money it generates? IANSAlso Read: SPORTS NEWSlast_img read more

Heyen: Syracuse, despite flashes, didn’t reach its full potential

first_imgSALT LAKE CITY — At Syracuse’s Media Day in mid-October, SU head coach Jim Boeheim thought the Orange were ahead of where they’d been at the same point a season ago. All five starters returned from a Sweet 16 team. Elijah Hughes was eligible, and the freshman class showed promise.Thursday, though, SU’s season ended in the NCAA Tournament’s opening round. Syracuse had gone from ahead of the curve to falling short of the heights it had reached last year.“I think you are always disappointed when you lose in a tournament, if you think you had a chance to win,” Boeheim said. “We obviously had a chance to win the game tonight.”In the NCAA Tournament, seasons can end at the hand of one hot shooting night, much as SU’s did on Thursday. But the final loss alone isn’t what makes Syracuse’s season such a disappointment. The Orange had more talent than last year, but they ended two games and three wins short. They proved they could play with anyone in the country, but they never harnessed that enough. Syracuse didn’t reach its full potential.“We didn’t have the consistency from the beginning,” Boeheim said.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMore coverage:Tyus Battle ‘isn’t worrying about’ his future right nowSyracuse’s season ends in 78-69 NCAA Tournament defeat to BaylorHot shooting, Elijah Hughes and more takeaways from Syracuse’s season-ending loss Comments Published on March 22, 2019 at 2:19 am Facebook Twitter Google+ All the pieces were in place: A senior point guard in Frank Howard. Potential pros Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett. A 7-foot-2 center in the middle of the 2-3 zone. Sharp-shooters Hughes and Buddy Boeheim. A do-everything 6-foot-10 Marek Dolezaj.But when SU went to Madison Square Garden in November with a chance at two early-season statement wins, it left with none. Howard was still out with injury, and Connecticut and a then-ranked Oregon handled the Orange. A win two weeks later at then-No. 16 Ohio State with Howard back in the fold seemed to show everything was OK.It wasn’t. Old Dominion and Buffalo beat Syracuse twice in four days, both in the Carrier Dome. That put the Orange at a four nonconference loss mark that had never led to an NCAA Tournament-berth before. A loss to Georgia Tech in the Dome on Jan. 12 made the outlook even drearier.“A lot of times people counted us out certain games,” Hughes said on Thursday. “We knew we had a chance, and we went out and competed.”Then, Syracuse provided again a glimpse at the upside: 95 points at then-No. 1 Duke. Overcoming an early 14-2 deficit to beat the Blue Devils even as Zion Williamson dominated not only changed SU’s postseason resume but appeared to show that the Orange could beat anyone. But though Syracuse could knock off the best, it never did again with consistency.Buddy came into his own in ACC play, and Howard finally found his legs. Wins pretty much only came against expectedly worse foes, though, aside from a win over Louisville on a historically bad shooting night for the Cardinals.“We played pretty consistently in the league,” Boeheim said. “We beat the teams we were supposed to.”Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff PhotographerSU led Duke, North Carolina and Virginia at halftime all in the span of two weeks. Bad teams don’t lead three soon-to-be No. 1-seeds at the half often. But a team with Syracuse’s potential shouldn’t have blown all three. Buddy said the Orange had “great moments” in those games, but they were too infrequent.Brissett emphasized that the NCAA Tournament, a “new season” with everyone starting with the same record, gave the Orange a stage to show what they could really do. But all Syracuse revealed was that its most consistent identity was inconsistency. Inconsistent by no means equals bad. The highest of highs were glorious. No one else beat a healthy Williamson in Cameron this season, and an eventual NCAA Tournament team in UofL had its worst loss of its season against SU.There was never just one answer, though, for why that didn’t show up more often. Sometimes it was the centers or an inability to rebound. Other times, the Orange couldn’t overcome a slow night from Battle, or they failed to defend the 3-point shot. SU searched for an identity all season. Hughes speculated that it was “heart” in February. That wasn’t enough, though, and Syracuse’s warts too frequently showed larger than its skills.Giving his final postgame press conference of his 43rd season at the helm of SU, Boeheim called the year “solid.” Sure, the Orange overcame a nonconference loss total to get into March Madness that they never had before. But no one suits up to lose in the round of 64.“It just wasn’t the year I think we would have liked to have had,” Boeheim said.It wasn’t the year Syracuse had the potential to have, either.Billy Heyen is a senior staff writer for The Daily Orange where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at wmheyen@syr.edu or @Wheyen3.last_img read more

BSO deputy goes into cardiac arrest outside Broward Jail
BSO deputy goes into cardiac arrest outside Broward Jail

first_imgFORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) – Rescue crews rushed a Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy to the hospital in cardiac arrest after he collapsed while escorting a man to his car outside the Broward County Jail, Friday.According to deputies, they stopped a man from entering the jail lobby when they discovered a knife on him. Officials said the man came to the Fort Lauderdale facility to either collect his belongings or the belongings of another person.Security asked the man to return the knife to his vehicle before entering the building.A BSO deputy was escorting the man, who was not in custody, when the deputy collapsed in the parking lot.According to officials, the man with the knife fled, and the deputy was rushed to Broward Health Medical Center in cardiac arrest. He reportedly had to be shocked with a defibrillator either on the way or at the hospital.“An ambulance was on site within three minutes, and I was told to resuscitate him,” said a nurse who did not want to be identified.According to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, the deputy is currently under a medically-induced coma. Fort Lauderdale Police set up a perimeter around the jail and courthouse facility, but it has since been lifted.Officers found a man matching the description of the man with the knife and questioned him.The subject was detained at a park alongside the New River. It’s unclear what, if any, charges he might be facing.Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.last_img read more