Minister of Education, Prof. Ansu Sonii Authorities at the Ministry of Education (MoE) recently set up a Special Taskforce to look into complaints from parents regarding un-prescribed fees charged by some public school administrators.As a result of the early findings, according to an MoE release, the ministry has with immediate effect, suspended three of its County Education Officers (CEOs), including, G. Samuel K. S. Bondo of Montserrado County 1, Moses S. Dologbay of Nimba County, and James G. Gaye of Margibi County, “for lack of oversight,” which led to disregard for policies within their controlled school system.According to the release, the suspension of the CEOs takes effect as of Tuesday, October 15, 2019. This action followed after an all-day deliberation held between the Senior Management Team (SMT), and Education Officers, who are the direct representatives of the minister within the counties.“Henceforth, all education stakeholders, and the public are advised not to transact any matters relative to education management or operations at the county level with the suspended persons until further notice,” the release said.The SMT’s engagement, which resulted in the above action, was predicated upon the officers’ lack of appropriate communication of changes made to the prescribed fees the MoE charged, which was stipulated in the 2019/2020 National Academic Calendar. The act on the part of CEOs was considered as disregard for direct instructions and policies of the MoE.Meanwhile, the Special Taskforce remains operational, and continuing the probe into complaints originating from other counties, as well as analyzing fees charged at private schools.The exercise for private schools, the release said, is meant to gauge details of fees charged over the last two academic years, analyze, and report the variance to determine if an increment or fees charged commensurate with the service provided.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
“I am very pleased that the UCI has exonerated me,” he said in a statement issued by Team Sky.“While this decision is obviously a big deal for me and the Team, it’s also an important moment for cycling.”His participation had been in doubt after it was reported Sunday that race organisers had banned Froome from taking part to protect the integrity of the world’s best-known cycling race.“I have never doubted that this case would be dismissed for the simple reason that I have known throughout I did nothing wrong,” he said in a statement issued on the Team Sky website.“I have suffered with asthma since childhood.“I know exactly what the rules are regarding my asthma medication and I only ever use my puffer to manage my symptoms within the permissible limits.“Of course, the UCI had to examine these test results from the Vuelta.”Froome, whose Giro win in May made him the first man to hold all three Grand Tours at once since French legend Bernard Hinault in 1983, said he was unhappy at the manner in which the test results had been leaked.“Unfortunately, the details of the case did not remain confidential, as they should have done,” he said.“And I appreciate more than anyone else the frustration at how long the case has taken to resolve and the uncertainty this has caused. I am glad it’s finally over.”Froome is out to emulate five-time Tour de France winners Hinault, Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx and Miguel Indurain.He said that as team leader he would never have besmirched the sport.“I have always taken my leadership position very seriously and I always do things the right way,” he said.“I meant it when I said that I would never dishonour a winner’s jersey and that my results would stand the test of time.”A win this year would make Froome the second racer after Merckx to win four straight Tours.“Today’s ruling draws a line. It means we can all move on and focus on the Tour de France,” said Froome.American Lance Armstrong finished first seven straight times, but those results were retrospectively scrubbed out because of drug use.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Kenyan-born cycling great Chris Froome can pursue his dreams of a fifth Tour de France triumph after being cleared over an adverse finding by the sport’s governing body. © AFP/File / LUK BENIESLONDON, United Kingdom, Jul 2 – Four-time Tour de France champion Chris Froome said Monday he never doubted he would be cleared by the sport’s governing body over having twice the permissible amount of asthma drug Salbutamol in his system.The delighted 33-year-old Kenyan-born rider — who has been under a cloud since returning that test at last year’s Vuelta e Espana — said he is now looking forward to attempting to win a fifth Tour de France which gets underway on Saturday.
This is part of the KHN Morning Briefing, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription. Debate Over California’s Proposition 45 The ballot initiative would give the elected state insurance commissioner the power to regulate health insurance rates for small businesses and individuals. Proponents say it would make the rate-setting process more transparent. But a coalition of hospitals, doctors and health plans contend it would give too much power to one person.Associated Press: Proposition 45 Seeks Health Insurance ReviewProposition 45 offers a simple choice for voters: Do they want the state insurance commissioner to regulate health care rates for small businesses and individual health plans? The campaign fight over whether that would be beneficial for consumers is much more complicated. Initiative proponents, led by Democratic Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones and Consumer Watchdog, a Santa Monica-based consumer group with backing from attorneys, say the initiative would add transparency to the rate-setting process and force health insurance companies to justify their decisions. Opponents, including a coalition of hospitals, doctors and firefighters with major funding from health plans, say it would have a detrimental effect on California’s ability to deliver lower-cost health coverage under the Affordable Care Act. They say it’s a flawed initiative that would give too much power to the insurance commissioner (Lin, 10/4).San Jose Mercury News: Reality Check: New Prop. 45 Ad Only Partially TrueProposition 45 would allow California’s elected insurance commissioner to regulate health plan rates for 6 million Californians with individual policies or who get their insurance as employees of small businesses. The commissioner already has the power to reject proposed rate hikes for auto and homeowners insurance (Seipel, 10/5).Los Angeles Times: Insurance Commissioner Race Pits Two Starkly Different CandidatesFew jobs at the state Capitol have more effect on citizen pocketbook issues than California’s elected insurance commissioner. The commissioner oversees a $123-billion-a-year industry that includes automobile, homeowner and dozens of other types of insurance coverage that most Californians are required to purchase. And a fight is underway over how much power to give the office over the hot-button issue of health insurance rates (Lifsher, 10/5).