Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan on Friday remanded a Brazilian national along with a miner after they were slapped with separate charges of human trafficking when they appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Thirty-two-year-old Christina Rodriquez Gomes and 50-year-old Arnold Melville of Iteringbang, Cuyuni River, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) were not required to plea to the indictable charge.The indictable charge against Gomes alleged that between November 4 and 28, 2018, at her business place, the Ola Hotel, she engaged in Trafficking In Persons (TIP) by harbouring two Venezuelan women by abusing their positing for the purpose of labour exploitation.Another charge read that on the same dates and location, Gomes confiscated their travel documents.The accused was represented by Attorney Siand Dhurjon, who in a bail application, informed the court that his client received application from the Venezuelan women to be hired as cooks but they were hired as maids instead and were paid on a weekly basis.He further stated that this issue stemmed from a misunderstanding between the women and their employer. However, she was remanded to prison until January 3, 2019.On the other hand, Melville was slapped which charges alleging that between November 4 and 28, 2018, at Iteringbang, he assisted Gomes by recruiting and transporting the two women by means of deception for the purpose of labour exploitation. He was represented by Attorney Clyde Forde who made an unsuccessful bail application. He too was remanded to prison until March 19, 2018.His matter was transferred to the Kamarang Magistrate’s Court.
THE Government is being told to withdraw their plans to levy the household tax on March 31 after a landmark court win in the High Court.The Donegal Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty has called on the government to withdraw their plans to levy the charge.His call comes as the High Court granted leave for a challenge to the charge on the grounds that the legislation and the statutory instruments, as well as Gaeltacht place-names are all in English only. Deputy Doherty told donegaldaily.com: “This is typical of a government that has forgotten that 500,000 daily Irish speakers exist. Irish speakers’ language rights have been ignored by a government that is at best indifferent to the Irish language and at worst hostile.“There seems to be a reasonable chance that the government will end up with egg on its face with regards to this challenge. Not only have 85% of the population decided not to sign up so far but it now looks likely that the legislation will be unconstitutional.“The household charge is grossly unfair and much of the money raised will end up paying off private debt. There are progressive revenue raising alternatives that would raise equal amounts of funds if not more. The government’s plans to introduce the household charge are in disarray and they need to withdraw it.”The High Court has granted permission to a man to challenge the implementation of the Household Charge because the legislation has not been published in Irish. Mr Justice Iarfhlaith O’Neill granted the permission to Thomas Brabazon on Wednesday afternoon.The matter will come before the court again in two weeks’ time. GOVERNMENT ROCKED IN HOUSEHOLD TAX CASE – TD DOHERTY SLAMS ENGLISH-ONLY LAW was last modified: March 15th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:HOUSEHOLD CHARGEirish language