Apprehending influx of Maoists from Chhattisgarh a day after the carnage in Sukma, the Odisha Police on Tuesday sealed the border with the neighbouring State and sounded a high alert in the Malkangiri district. In a similar step, Madhya Pradesh Police too has issued a high alert in Balaghat district, bordering Chhattisgarh.The Odisha Police deployed its elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group, District Voluntary Force (DVF) and jawans of the CRPF and the BSF to ensure there was no influx of the ultras in Odisha, State DGP K.B. Singh said.Mr. Singh said there was every possibility of Maoist ultras preferring to take shelter in Odisha as Maharashtra has already sealed its border with Chhattisgarh.“The central forces and State police have been told to undertake area domination exercise and flush out Maoist rebels, if any,” the DGP told reporters.Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Mitrabhanu Mohapatra said, “We have sounded a high-alert in the border areas. The whole district has also been put on extra vigil.” Monitoring has been intensified in all entry and exit points at the bordering areas. Besides, instructions have been given to police officers and combing police parties to coordinate with their counterparts in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Chhattisgarh, he said.A similar alert has also been sounded along the Andhra-Odisha Border (AOB), police said.M.P. Police intensifies patrollingIn the wake of the Sukma attack, Madhya Pradesh Police has also issued a high alert in the Maoist-affected Balaghat district, a senior official said on Tuesday.“The areas under Balaghat police range are bordering with the Naxal-affected areas of Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra. So, we have put the security forces on high alert,” Inspector-General (Balaghat Range) G. Janardan told PTI on Tuesday.He said the patrolling along the borders has been intensified to check the activities of Naxals.“This area has also been Naxal-affected and the police has intensified patrolling at the borders of Kawardha and Rajnandgaon districts of Chhattisgarh and Gondia district of Maharashtra,” Mr. Janardan added.
But FIFA has now concluded that it lacked to the time to prepare a country to host the extra games.In Kuwait, Jaber Al-Ahmad International Stadium has 60,000 seats and the capacity at Sabah Al-Salem Stadium is only 26,000. Both venues would require upgrades to be used at the World Cup, putting the spotlight on working conditions and labor rights.FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura wrote to human rights activists last month to offer assurances that there was going to be “an assessment of human rights risks and potential opportunities associated with a possible expansion.”Qatar has an exemption that allows foreigners to drink alcohol, but Kuwait has a complete ban which would have be problematic for FIFA, which has Budweiser as a major sponsor.FIFA has already had to adapt to cope with taking its showpiece tournament to the Middle East for the first time.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting While Qatar won a vote in 2010 on the basis of staging a June-July World Cup, FIFA shifted the tournament to from its usual slot because of the fierce summer heat to Nov. 21-Dec 18, 2022.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue LATEST STORIES DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Rudy Gobert, Paul George, Giannis Antetokounmpo headline NBA All-Defensive teams ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP People watch the inauguration ceremony, Thursday, May 16, 2019, of the Al Wakrah stadium, which is the first stadium has been built from the scratch for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Doha, Qatar. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili)FIFA scrapped plans to expand the 2022 Qatar World Cup to 48 nations, deciding Wednesday to stick with 32 countries due to the political and logistical complexities of using another Persian Gulf nation.FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s hopes of expanding the Middle East’s first World Cup in the region were stymied by the regional diplomatic crisis and the governing body’s demands on host nations to adhere to its human and labor rights requirements. That means the World Cup will not be expanded until 2026, with FIFA already having approved a format with 48 teams for that tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo calls for scrapping of ‘Oplan Tokhang’ PLAY LIST 02:34Robredo calls for scrapping of ‘Oplan Tokhang’00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess A meeting of the FIFA Council in March authorized Infantino to work with Qatar on seeing if it was feasible to use at least one more country in the region to accommodate an additional 16 matches and present a proposal at meetings in June.“Following a thorough and comprehensive consultation process with the involvement of all the relevant stakeholders, it was concluded that under the current circumstances such a proposal could not be made now,” FIFA said in a statement on Wednesday. “Due to the advanced stage of preparations and the need for a detailed assessment of the potential logistical impact on the host country, more time would be required and a decision could not be taken before the deadline of June. It was therefore decided not to further pursue this option.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsA FIFA internal report had already concluded that the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia could not join as co-hosts unless they restore the economic and travel ties with Qatar that were severed two years ago.The regional diplomatic crisis left neutral Kuwait and Oman as the viable options. Oman has said it isn’t keen on hosting games at the FIFA showpiece. Infantino visited Kuwait last month in an attempt to persuade them to host matches in 2022. Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too View comments
Kentucky Derby news Read more Hide Quick guide Horse racing tips for Easter Monday Share on Facebook Aidan O’Brien’s Mendelssohn firmly on Kentucky Derby trail after Dubai win Share on WhatsApp … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on LinkedIn Since you’re here… Scat Daddy’s final crop of yearlings were the subject of a buying frenzy at last year’s autumn sales, and now that his last runners are reaching the track, everyone is trying to unearth his heir. A win for one of his sons at Churchill Downs next month could conceivably be worth hundreds of millions of dollars over a productive lifetime as a stallion.What a nerve-tingling possibility for Mendelssohn’s owners in the Coolmore Stud syndicate, as well as for both O’Brien and Ryan Moore as they look forward to one of the few races where victory would represent a significant new achievement for them both.It is still significantly odds-against, and there is so much that could go wrong both before and during the race. Mendelssohn could get to Kentucky and draw the coffin box against the rail, which has not supplied the winner since 1986. Or he could miss the kick, as O’Brien’s horses have sometimes been prone to do in the past when racing against opponents conditioned to go like fury from the bell. He could boil over when faced with a 150,000-strong crowd, or get caught in a pocket in the big field, or succumb for any number of reasons that have little to do with his raw talent and everything to do with bad luck. He might simply come up against a better dirt-bred three-year-old.In Dubai last week, Bob Baffert was telling anyone who asked that Justify, another son of Scat Daddy who has posted the two-best speed figures by a three-year-old this year in the US, could be the next American Pharoah. But Mendelssohn has the pedigree, the running style and above all the class to win in Kentucky given normal racing luck. Moore, who was blown away by his first and so far only experience of the Kentucky Derby and has a burning desire to win it, will surely never have a better chance.No horse shipping in from Europe has ever won the Kentucky Derby, though Clive Brittain, never a man to duck a challenge, went close with Bold Arrangement, who finished runner-up to Ferdinand in 1986. Arazi, who had knee surgery after his famous win in the 1991 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile and then drew stall 17 of 18 at Churchill, trailed home in eighth in 1992 (just behind Dr Devious, who took the Derby at Epsom a few weeks later). Mendelssohn will be the first runner since Arazi to travel from Europe to Kentucky as a potential favourite.For the second year running, following Arrogate’s brilliance in last year’s World Cup, it was a race on Meydan’s dirt track that fired the international Flat season into life. It turned out to be the beginning of the end for Arrogate’s racing career, but there are strong grounds to hope and believe that Mendelssohn’s story has only just begun. Aidan O’Brien Support The Guardian Ryan Moore Share on Pinterest Was this helpful? Horse racing tips Topics Show Horse racing Thank you for your feedback. Share via Email Wolverhampton 1.00 USS Missouri 1.30 Midnightly 2.00 Kyllachy Dragon 2.35 Scrutiny 3.10 Morning Skye 3.45 Vale Of Kent 4.20 Prince Jai Plumpton 1.55 Sussex Ranger 2.25 Tara Bridge 3.00 Bagging Turf 3.35 Beau Bay 4.10 Cassivellaunus 4.45 Mr Muddle 5.15 Moving In Style Market Rasen 2.10 The Blue Bomber 2.45 Whoshotwho 3.20 Zayfire Aramis 3.55 Admiral’s Secret 4.30 Monfass (nb) 5.05 Clondaw Bisto 5.35 Scorpion Haze Fakenham 2.15 Ascendant 2.50 Diplomate Sivola 3.25 Gran Maestro 4.00 Holbrook Park 4.35 Sackett 5.10 Argot 5.40 It’s O Kay Chepstow 2.30 Pineapple Rush 3.05 The Kings Writ 3.40 Arian 4.15 Tornado In Milan (nap) 4.50 Great Tempo (nb) 5.25 Major Hindrance 6.00 Unwin VC Reuse this content Share on Twitter Share on Messenger There were at least a few commentators on social media on Saturday evening who were left disappointed after the UAE Derby at Meydan. “I thought Mendelssohn was trending to celebrate the great classical composer,” someone said on Twitter. “But it turns out it was just about a horse.”Some horse, though. He did his stuff in daylight, long before the most valuable races card were played out under the floodlights, yet Mendelssohn’s win was still the enduring memory as the spectators streamed out to join the world’s longest taxi queue. His time was a new track record and so was his 18‑and‑a‑half lengths winning margin, and he was value for every inch of it.The Trakus system at Meydan logged Mendelssohn as having run 12 metres further than Rayya, the runner-up – and she crossed the line a second quicker than she had when winning the UAE Oaks by nearly four lengths on her previous start. This was a Group Two contest, several divisions below the standard of competition that Mendelssohn will face in the Kentucky Derby on 5 May, but they were certainly not platers and Aidan O’Brien’s colt crushed them without breaking sweat.Astonishing though his performance was, there is a sense in which Mendelssohn was doing only what he was bred and bought to do. The early death of Scat Daddy, Mendelssohn’s sire, in December 2015 meant that his remaining foals were sure to command a premium price, but Mendelssohn was still among the pricier examples when he was knocked down for $3m at Keeneland’s Select sale in 2016. Beholder, his half-sister, won 11 Grade One races on dirt in the States in a stellar career which concluded with her victory in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff at Santa Anita in 2016.