The Daily Mirror say Chelsea are interested in Brazilian youngster Malcom.The Corinthians forward, 17, has been touted as one of his country’s best prospects and is also said to be a target for Barcelona.Meanwhile, the Daily Star pick up on reports in Russia that Spartak Moscow boss Murat Yakin wants to sign Mohamed Salah from Chelsea.Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho insisted that Salah will not be leaving Stamford Bridge, but Yakin is quoted as saying: “I want to sign both Salah and (Basel’s) Fabian Frei. I know both players well.There has been speculation about winger Salah’s future“I know the economic situation in Russia is not the best, but the club can afford both players’ wages.“The club president promised a surprise in the upcoming transfer market. I spoke with him about both Salah and Frei and I hope it will happen – that would be my Christmas present.“I’ll do whatever it takes to get Salah in the team, even if I have to beg for it.” Related West London Sport story: Salah is staying at Chelsea – MourinhoFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
20 MarchSouth African tennis star Rik De Voest will achieve a notable milestone when he turns out in the Davis Cup against Lithuania at the Irene Country Club in Centurion from 4 to 6 April.‘Extra special’“Every time you represent your country is special, but this tie will be extra special,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.“This tie against Lithuania will be additionally unique and memorable for me as it will be my 20th official tie for South Africa.”AwardFor reaching that milestone, De Voest will receive a prestigious Davis Cup commitment award from the International Tennis Federation. Only three other players from South Africa have previously been eligible for the award: Frew McMillian, with 28 ties over 11 years; Wayne Ferreira, with 25 ties over 13 years; and Cliff Drysdale, with 24 ties over 7 years.De Voest started playing tennis at the age of six and devoted himself to the game from the age of 14. Ironically, his introduction to tennis was at the Irene Country Club.“I am looking forward to the upcoming tie and celebrating the special occasion at Irene Country Club, which was instrumental in my upbringing,” De Voest said.Davis Cup recordHe made made his Davis Cup debut in 2002 at the Groenkloof Stadium in Pretoria against Hungary. Since then, in the 19 ties, De Voest has played 44 matches, winning 26 of them.Presently ranked 186 in singles and 368 in doubles, De Voest achieved a career high singles ranking of 110 in August 2006, while his highest doubles ranking of 39 was reached in April 2009.Doubles titleDe Voest has won two ATP doubles titles, with Ashley Fisher in Beijing in 2007 and with Dmitry Tursanov in Dubai in 2009. In 2009, De Voest and Fisher finished as runners-up in the SA Open at Montecasino in Johannesburg.On the Challenger circuit, the South African Davis Cup stalwart has won 37 doubles titles, which is a record for the circuit.‘Significant importance’Earlier this month, De Voest’s Canadian wife Carolyn gave birth to their first born, a baby boy named Morgan in Vancouver, Canada. “It is really hard for me to leave my new born son and normally I would not. However, this tie against Lithuania has significant importance for me on both a personal and professional level,” De Voest commented.He also said representing South Africa in Davis Cup over the past 12 years is his greatest sporting achievement. “I look forward as always to representing South Africa again, and hope to do the team and country proud. Each and every time I put on the green and gold it’s an incredibly humbling and proud feeling.”SAinfo reporter
German automaker Volkswagen and three Israeli cybersecurity experts established a new automotive cybersecurity firm on Wednesday, called CYMOTIVE Technologies.The company, based in Herzliya, Israel and Wolfsburg, Germany, is a response to the growing epidemic of connected cars on the road with insecure software that is readily hackable.See Also: Israel telco giant Bezeq dives into smart city marketConnected cars hacks have already been demonstrated quite a few times, in a variety of cars, showing the lax security measures most manufacturers employ. In the autonomous future, that lax security could end up killing a driver, if the car is remotely hacked.Hackers have already demonstrated shutting down a car in the middle of a highway, even without autonomous functionality.“The car and the internet are becoming increasingly integrated,” said Dr Volkmar Tanneberger, head of electrical and electronic development at Volkswagen. “To enable us to tackle the enormous challenges of the next decade, we need to expand our know-how in cyber security in order to systematically advance vehicle cyber security for our customers.“CYMOTIVE Technologies provides an excellent platform for doing this. It is a long-term investment in cyber security to make vehicles and their ecosystem more secure.”No partners yet mentionedVolkswagen didn’t provide a list of manufacturers it has partnered with to deploy the cybersecurity solutions. For now, it looks like Volkswagen and possibly Porsche will be the only customers.“The new cooperation will take an innovative and strategic approach to cyber security,” said Yuval Diskin, former head of the Israeli Security Services. ”Together with Volkswagen we are building a top-notch team of cyber security experts. We are aware of the significant technological challenges that will face us in the next years in dealing with the cyber security threats facing the connected car and the development of the autonomous car.” David Curry Related Posts What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Follow the Puck Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Tags:#autonomous cars#cybersecurity#Internet of Things#IoT#Self-Driving#Volkswagen How Myia Health’s Partnership with Mercy Virtua…
Following the floods across the State due to heavy rainfall over the past week, the government fears a surge in cases of leptospirosis, dengue, malaria, and viral fevers. The health department has formed 162 medical teams to conduct house-to-house visits for early symptom diagnosis and treatment.Of these, 114 teams are working in the Thane region, 37 in Kolhapur and 10 in Pune.A health department official said a four-member team of two male and female medical worker each would visit bigger areas and villages, while the smaller villages would be covered by two-member teams.A press release issued on Tuesday by Health Minister Eknath Shinde said nearly 1.14 lakh people have been affected by the floods and heavy rainfall across the State. As many as 36 villages in the Kolhapur region, 18 in Thane and two to three villages in Satara and Nashik have been severely affected.“So far, the teams have covered more than 14,000 households. In the flood-affected areas, we have also undertaken work for cleaning water in the wells,” Mr. Shinde said.Fear of outbreakFor those who have waded through floodwater, leptospirosis is the biggest risk. It is a bacterial infection that is transmitted to humans through rat and cattle urine and excreta and commonly caused when one wades through contaminated water and the bacteria is transmitted through unhealed wounds in the skin, abrasions, and cuts especially on the foot. Mumbai has recorded 62 cases, and one death, due to leptospirosis in July this year.As the floodwaters recede, a surge in vector-borne disease is also most likely as mosquito breeding sees a rise. “Konkan, Navi Mumbai, and Thane region have recorded very high rainfall. The civic administration should be prompt in vector control measures. Those who have waded through water should get easy access to prophylactic medication as well,” Mr. Shinde said.
More than six weeks after a security guard Pradeep Tomar allegedly died because of torture at a police post in Pilakhuwa town of Hapur district, two constables have been arrested.Also read ‘Custodial’ death sparks tension in U.P. town“Manish Singh and Sonu Kumar were arrested on Wednesday. They were produced before a magistrate and have been sent to jail,” said Rajesh Kumar Singh, Circle Officer, Hapur (city), who is investigating the case.He refused to comment on the constables’ role in the case. “It is still a matter of investigation.” He said two other accused, SHO Yogesh Baliyan and sub-inspector Ajab Singh, who were under suspension, were still on the run.Deputy Superintendent of Police Santosh Mishra, who was also named in the FIR and transferred to Garhmukteshwar after the incident, has already been given a clean chit in the case.Mr. Tomar, 35, died on the intervening night of October 13 after he was picked by the police from the Chhijarasai toll booth in Pilakhuwa. The police had claimed he was picked up for questioning in connection with a murder case. However, Mr. Tomar’s family, including his 10-year-old son who was allegedly present when his father was picked up, claimed that he was tortured by the police personnel.Based on the complaint of the deceased’s brother Kuldeep, an FIR was registered against six police personnel under stringent Sections of the Indian Penal Code.