Tag Archives 唔准唔开心论坛

Erik Karlsson takes small step forward, questionable to play vs. Jets

first_imgSAN JOSE — Erik Karlsson’s status for Tuesday’s game in Winnipeg against the Jets is still in question but the Sharks defenseman appeared to at least take a small step forward in his recovery from a lower body injury.For complete Sharks coveragefollow us on Flipboard.Karlsson, who hasn’t played since Jan. 16, skated briefly Monday morning and left the ice about a half-hour before the Sharks’ practice ended. He did not skate on Friday and missed his fourth straight game Saturday against …last_img read more

Fruit SA in ‘world first’ ethical standard

first_img29 October 2012Fruit South Africa has finalised an ethical standard and audit process for the industry that will ensure that South African fruit is produced in line with internationally accepted labour and environmental standards.In a statement earlier this month, Fruit South Africa said the standard was aligned to South African law, was internationally recognised, and had the benefit promoting a single standard and audit to replace the numerous standards and audits with which producers must comply.The umbrella body for SA’s fruit producers’ assocations said the new standard was “a world first with regards to enabling mutual recognition of audits among international and local retailers”.Global Social Compliance ProgrammeIn order to achieve this, Fruit SA engaged with the Global Social Compliance Programme (GSCP), an organisation which aims to harmonise ethical requirements and avoid duplication of audits while ensuring that global standards are adhered to.Fruit SA used the GSCP reference code as the basis for the development of its own standard, and aligned this to South African law. The standard was then submitted to the GSCP “to undergo a process of equivalence validated by an independent international panel of experts”.According to Fruit SA, the GSCP is supported by various global retailers, including Tesco, M&S, Walmart, Ahold, Migros, COOP Switzerland, Delhaise, Carrefour, and South African retailer Pick n Pay.South Africa exports a large proportion of its fruit. According to Business Day, SA’s industry employs nearly half-million people, and sold its fruit to 70 countries in 2011, earning the country in the region of R12-billion.Sustainability Initiative of South AfricaThe Sustainability Initiative of South Africa (Siza) – incorporating Fruit SA’s ethical trade programme – will be the custodian of the new standard.Fruit SA said that Siza was a “multi-stakeholder platform”, with membership open to producers, exporters and stakeholders across the supply chain, that could in time be expanded beyond the fruit sector to represent the broader agricultural industry.“While the programme has been driven by the fruit industry, it is open to all agricultural industries in South Africa, and will look to work with the WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) in the future in providing the framework for a harmonised environmental standard with the same international recognition afforded by the GSCP.”Fruit SA stressed that Siza was “development-led rather than audit-led”, aiming to provide growers with the tools to be self-regulated.“As a locally developed, managed and funded programme that is aligned to international requirements, the Siza programme is recognised as a world first of its kind.”SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Davis Cup milestone for Rik de Voest

first_img20 MarchSouth African tennis star Rik De Voest will achieve a notable milestone when he turns out in the Davis Cup against Lithuania at the Irene Country Club in Centurion from 4 to 6 April.‘Extra special’“Every time you represent your country is special, but this tie will be extra special,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.“This tie against Lithuania will be additionally unique and memorable for me as it will be my 20th official tie for South Africa.”AwardFor reaching that milestone, De Voest will receive a prestigious Davis Cup commitment award from the International Tennis Federation. Only three other players from South Africa have previously been eligible for the award: Frew McMillian, with 28 ties over 11 years; Wayne Ferreira, with 25 ties over 13 years; and Cliff Drysdale, with 24 ties over 7 years.De Voest started playing tennis at the age of six and devoted himself to the game from the age of 14. Ironically, his introduction to tennis was at the Irene Country Club.“I am looking forward to the upcoming tie and celebrating the special occasion at Irene Country Club, which was instrumental in my upbringing,” De Voest said.Davis Cup recordHe made made his Davis Cup debut in 2002 at the Groenkloof Stadium in Pretoria against Hungary. Since then, in the 19 ties, De Voest has played 44 matches, winning 26 of them.Presently ranked 186 in singles and 368 in doubles, De Voest achieved a career high singles ranking of 110 in August 2006, while his highest doubles ranking of 39 was reached in April 2009.Doubles titleDe Voest has won two ATP doubles titles, with Ashley Fisher in Beijing in 2007 and with Dmitry Tursanov in Dubai in 2009. In 2009, De Voest and Fisher finished as runners-up in the SA Open at Montecasino in Johannesburg.On the Challenger circuit, the South African Davis Cup stalwart has won 37 doubles titles, which is a record for the circuit.‘Significant importance’Earlier this month, De Voest’s Canadian wife Carolyn gave birth to their first born, a baby boy named Morgan in Vancouver, Canada. “It is really hard for me to leave my new born son and normally I would not. However, this tie against Lithuania has significant importance for me on both a personal and professional level,” De Voest commented.He also said representing South Africa in Davis Cup over the past 12 years is his greatest sporting achievement. “I look forward as always to representing South Africa again, and hope to do the team and country proud. Each and every time I put on the green and gold it’s an incredibly humbling and proud feeling.”SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Kickout Flashing: Often Overlooked and Under Appreciated

first_img This article is only available to GBA Prime Members Start Free Trial Already a member? Log in Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to this article as well as GBA’s complete library of premium articles and construction details.center_img We were building a new deck on the back of a house when we had to break for a couple days because of heavy rain. When we returned, the client asked us about a puzzling problem that two roofers had been unable to solve. Occasionally, after a day of rain, the garage floor had a puddle of water that seemed to weep out from the bottom of the back wall where the garage joined the rest of the house. I had a sense after looking in the back of the garage that the leak was at the first piece of step flashing where the garage eave joined the main house wall.I had to remove only two pieces of lap siding where the drip edge on the garage roof met the house wall to see the saturated and decaying plywood sheathing. And the damage only got worse as we removed more clapboards and housewrap further down the wall. When the 25-year-old house was built, the first piece of step flashing was installed against the wall and the housewrap was installed over it, which makes sense for every other piece of step flashing—lap the water-resistive barrier (WRB) over the wall leg of the flashing, shingle style. But the first piece of step flashing in cases where the main body of the wall continues beyond the eave of a lower roof needs to be turned away from the wall, and the WRB has to be sliced so it covers the wall leg of the step flashing and goes behind the turned out leg.We removed the siding on both the back wall of the garage and the adjoining wall of the house. The water damage was more severe and wider lower down on the wall. The insulation was saturated, the outer… last_img read more

Odisha, M.P. sound high alert after Sukma Maoist attack

first_imgApprehending influx of Maoists from Chhattisgarh a day after the carnage in Sukma, the Odisha Police on Tuesday sealed the border with the neighbouring State and sounded a high alert in the Malkangiri district. In a similar step, Madhya Pradesh Police too has issued a high alert in Balaghat district, bordering Chhattisgarh.The Odisha Police deployed its elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group, District Voluntary Force (DVF) and jawans of the CRPF and the BSF to ensure there was no influx of the ultras in Odisha, State DGP K.B. Singh said.Mr. Singh said there was every possibility of Maoist ultras preferring to take shelter in Odisha as Maharashtra has already sealed its border with Chhattisgarh.“The central forces and State police have been told to undertake area domination exercise and flush out Maoist rebels, if any,” the DGP told reporters.Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Mitrabhanu Mohapatra said, “We have sounded a high-alert in the border areas. The whole district has also been put on extra vigil.” Monitoring has been intensified in all entry and exit points at the bordering areas. Besides, instructions have been given to police officers and combing police parties to coordinate with their counterparts in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Chhattisgarh, he said.A similar alert has also been sounded along the Andhra-Odisha Border (AOB), police said.M.P. Police intensifies patrollingIn the wake of the Sukma attack, Madhya Pradesh Police has also issued a high alert in the Maoist-affected Balaghat district, a senior official said on Tuesday.“The areas under Balaghat police range are bordering with the Naxal-affected areas of Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra. So, we have put the security forces on high alert,” Inspector-General (Balaghat Range) G. Janardan told PTI on Tuesday.He said the patrolling along the borders has been intensified to check the activities of Naxals.“This area has also been Naxal-affected and the police has intensified patrolling at the borders of Kawardha and Rajnandgaon districts of Chhattisgarh and Gondia district of Maharashtra,” Mr. Janardan added.last_img read more

Rajasthan passes Bill to give death penalty to child rapists

first_imgRajasthan on Friday became the second State, after Madhya Pradesh, to pass a Bill providing for death penalty to those convicted of raping girls of 12 years and below. The State Assembly passed the Bill seeking to amend the Indian Penal Code with the insertion of new provision by voice vote.A deterrentHome Minister Gulab Chand Kataria, who introduced the Criminal Laws (Rajasthan Amendment) Bill, 2018, in the House, said it was a “progressive legislation” aimed at protecting the girl child by laying down a deterrent punishment, including death sentence, to the offenders.“The Bill will become a law after it gets the Presidential assent. The Rajasthan Assembly has conveyed its feelings to the President. We hope that a similar initiative will be taken by other States and even by the Centre,” Mr. Kataria said after the House rejected a motion moved by some Congress members to circulate the Bill for eliciting public opinion.According to the National Crime Records Bureau’s 2016 report, the cases of crimes against children have seen a steady increase in Rajasthan. The State recorded 4,034 such cases in 2016, which was 3.8% of the crimes against children registered across the country. In 2015, the State had registered 3,689 cases of crimes against children.Mr. Kataria said the Bill had inserted two new sections, 376-AA and 376-DD, in the IPC.Section 376-AA provides for capital punishment or rigorous imprisonment ranging between 14 years and lifelong incarceration. Section 376-DD makes a similar provision for gang-rape of a girl child, while laying down death penalty or imprisonment from 20 years to lifelong incarceration for those convicted of the offence. Each of the persons constituting the gang will be deemed to be guilty of the offence.last_img read more

Alvarez, Golovkin seek their places in boxing history

first_img“The biggest day is coming. This is a true fight, there is a lot of money coming,” Golovkin said.“I bring my belts, all my belts. I feel like a champion. This is my game, this is my fight, I am the boss.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Ex-NBA player sentenced to prison for selling stolen guns Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES Kazakhstan’s three-belt champion Golovkin against Mexico’s biggest star Alvarez is one of the most anticipated fights in years, featuring the most explosive fighters in the division.“This is a fight boxing can be proud of. It is boxing’s biggest fight. It is a fight for history,” said Golovkin.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingMost people don’t think this will go the distance as both fighters are skilled ringmasters and have the ability to deliver knockout blows when the opportunity presents itself.They both prefer to do their talking with their fists and their fight was always a matter not of if, but when, as they need each other to validate their places in boxing history. View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Vegas debutGolovkin, who will be making his Las Vegas debut, has fought his entire career at 160 pounds (72.5 kg) while Alvarez, 27, fought just once above 155 — in his last fight against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.The undefeated Golovkin, whose World Boxing Council, World Boxing Association and International Boxing Federation titles will be on the line, said he is expecting the toughest fight of his career against a boxer six years his junior.“This is my biggest fight,” he said. “I worked hard to become of champion of the world. I worked hard with Abel (trainer Sanchez) to stay champion of the world.”Alvarez also expects a difficult fight.“He is the most dangerous opponent of my career, but I’m ready for him and what’s next to come,” said the former WBC and WBA super welterweight champion.ADVERTISEMENT Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ MOST READ “We know that in fights, it takes two to tango. I’m ready, and you know what you’ll get from me.”Alvarez, who is gunning for his 50th career win, is coming off a lopsided win over of Chavez on May 6. He beat Chavez by unanimous decision as all three judges scored it 120-108.In his last fight, Golovkin outpointed Daniel Jacobs at Madison Square Garden in New York. Jacobs had an unexpected surge over the final three rounds before losing by a narrow decision which led some to believe that the 35-year-old Golovkin might be starting to show his age.Alvarez’s biggest fight before this one was a 12-round loss to Mayweather in 2013 in an entertaining fight which Mayweather deserved to win. Alvarez was also held to a draw by journeyman Jorge Juarez in 2006 when he was 15.Alvarez’s trainer Eddy Reynoso said his fighter has improved a lot since the Mayweather loss.Learn from mistakes“He is more mature, a more complete fighter,” said Reynoso on Thursday at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino. “You always learn something from victories but defeats teach you more.“You can see the mistakes you made and you learn not to go that route again. He learned a lot from that defeat to become a better fighter.”Golovkin is one of the best conditioned athletes in the sport. He even missed the birth of his second child on Friday because he was in the gym training. He stayed in the gym for two hours after his wife, Alina, gave birth to the couple’s first daughter.Golovkin may be the champion but he is not the overwhelming favorite and Sanchez says the crowd inside T-Mobile will be decidedly for Alvarez.Golovkin said even if the crowd is for Alvarez he will enter and leave the ring as the champion. Canelo Alvarez, left, and Gennady Golovkin pose for photographers during a news conference Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017, in Las Vegas. The two are scheduled to fight in a middleweight title fight Saturday in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)Las Vegas, United States — Now that the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor circus has left town, attention shifts to Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez and their showdown for middleweight boxing supremacy.For those who were disappointed by last month’s so-called superfight between a boxer and a UFC fighter that was staged before a less-than capacity crowd, Saturday’s sold out world title contest at the same T-Mobile Arena will be welcome change.ADVERTISEMENT Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesterslast_img read more