Tag Archives 夜上海论坛AT

Eric Dungey’s heroics lead SU to first 4-0 start since 1991; Syracuse dominates UConn 51-21

first_img Published on September 22, 2018 at 7:50 pm Contact Matt: mdliberm@syr.edu Boos from the crowd echoed through the Carrier Dome as soon as referee Anthony Calabrese’s made the call. Eric Dungey didn’t cross the goal line. Instead, Syracuse would have first down and goal from its own one-yard line.Even though Dungey managed to secure a first down for Syracuse with less three feet to go, he and the raucous crowd weren’t pleased. On the next play, Dungey muscled his way into the end zone for a touchdown, his fourth score of the first half, to give Syracuse a 31-14 lead.“All he wants to do is win and he’ll do anything that he can to win,” SU head coach Dino Babers said. “If it’s helping you catch a pass, he’ll do it, and if you can’t catch it he’ll throw it to you and run down there and catch it himself.”A week after backup Tommy DeVito wowed the college football world in relief of the injured Dungey against Florida State, leading SU to a dominant 27-point win, Dungey made his mark again. A poke to the eye, a helmet-to-helmet hit and a sore throwing shoulder in the last week, Dungey dominated, leading Syracuse (4-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) to a 51-21 win over Connecticut (1-3, 0-1 American Athletic). The senior completed 21 of 27 passes for 286 yards and two touchdowns, rushed 77 yards and three touchdowns and led Syracuse to its first 4-0 start since 1991 and just its fifth since World War II.And he’ll have to put forth a similar effort next week when SU travels to Death Valley to take on a No. 3 Clemson (4-0, 1-0) team eager for revenge against the quarterback that torched it for 339 yards and three touchdowns last season in arguably the biggest upset in SU football history.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I thought Eric’s leadership was at the forefront today,” Babers said. “If you look at the way he handled the first quarter drives and the things we did the first two and three times we had the football, I think that’s a lot of Eric Dungey’s personality being breathed into the rest of the offense.”Dungey has long discussed his fiery nature. He yelled in Babers’ ear to put him back in against Western Michigan. He tried to stay in against Florida State despite reportedly not being able to see straight due to getting poked in the eye. He knows if Syracuse is to make a national statement this year, it rests on the shoulders of his leadership. Whatever Syracuse does, all eyes will come back to him. On Saturday afternoon, he led Syracuse down the field on its first drive and punched the first touchdown of the game in himself. After a quick UConn three-and-out, Dungey accounted for 58 of Syracuse’s 75 yards and powered in another.On that second rushing touchdown, Dungey faked the handoff on the Huskies’ nine-yard line and tried to run up the gut. When he was met by a wall of lineman, Dungey curled around the left side where he was met by two linebackers. One he shed immediately, the other, Kevon Jones, wrapped Dungey from behind, trying to plant his feet in the turf and stop the run. But he couldn’t. Dungey trudged forward, inching closer and closer, bulldozing his way toward the end zone as Jones continued to lose the proverbial tug-of-war to hold him back.“He’s just a real warrior,” center Airon Servais said. “He just battles every play.”Two drives in and Dungey had scored two touchdowns, had only one incompletion and 110 yards of offense and Syracuse led 14-0.But something looked different. The Dungey of old would’ve fought for more yards, looking for head-on collisions with linebackers to try to gain one extra yard. Dungey didn’t play that way Saturday. He slid when he should have, he ran out of bounds when he reached first downs and he even avoided leaping at the goal-line on a second-down play that he likely could have scored on. He scored two plays later instead.As UConn continued to struggle against the smothering SU defense, Dungey continued to shine. SU’s third drive lasted just 58 seconds. After a long Sean Riley punt return, Dungey went 3-3 completing passes to Devin Butler and Riley before finding Gabe Horan on the Connecticut one-yard line, where the tight end muscled his way for six points.Just over 11 minutes into the game each side had three possessions. UConn accumulated 73 yards for no score. Dungey had 152 and three touchdowns. The Huskies began to gain some traction on the ground and in the air, but Dungey’s play paced the game. At the end of the first half, Dungey had outgained UConn by 16 yards and had four total touchdowns to Connecticut’s two. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ In the second half, he showed no signs of slowing, leading the offense to 48 points before DeVito finally came in for relief with 10 minutes remaining.All game, Dungey bruised his way into the end zone and spread out a dynamic offense, finding eight different receivers and leading some — such as Riley, who produced a career-high 120 yards on six catches — to career days.Yet, he lost his psyche in certain moments. In the third quarter, after Dungey failed to break the goal line on second and goal from the one-yard line, his arguing resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. SU settled for a field goal.“That was what coach would call a selfish play,” Dungey said. “Not cool on my part. I can’t do things like that. It’s a bad look for the team … I told coach I apologize and it’s not gonna happen again.”Dungey scored five touchdowns and generated 363 yards of total offense. He has propelled SU to its best start in 27 years. But, UConn entered this game as the worst defensive team in the nation and SU has not beaten an opponent above .500. Clemson — next week’s opponent — is arguably the best team in the nation. SU won last year’s matchup, but it was on home turf and against a second-string quarterback. The last time the Orange walked into Memorial Stadium (South Carolina), they left scoreless. Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties inches from the end zone won’t help SU to a win in Death Valley.In the post-game press conference, Babers reiterated Dungey’s drive. If his wideouts can’t catch the ball, Dungey will throw it and catch it, Babers said. But when asked if he ever goes too far, Babers paused.“What did that guy say? You play to win the game, the Arizona State (head coach Herm Edwards),” Babers said. “I think Eric does a great job of playing to win the game.”last_img read more

britbet and Tote to explore ways of collaboration after standstill agreement

first_img Submit John Williamson to oversee UK Tote Group’s international growth August 28, 2020 StumbleUpon SBC Awards: The key to an effective submission August 28, 2020 Share Share Related Articles britbet, the pool betting operation backed by most of the UK’s racecourses, has agreed to a ‘Standstill Arrangement’ with the incumbent Tote ahead of the existing Tote exclusivity licence ending on 12 July in order to allow ‘further time to explore opportunities to collaborate’.The deal means that in the short term, the punter will notice no difference as the Tote brand will remain the racing pools provider at the country’s racecourses and beyond with no changes to its liquidity. The two operators say that the arrangement will provide the opportunity to develop a long-term partnership to ensure there is a single pool betting operation for British racing which is in the best interests of the sport.britbet was due to take over the pool betting operations at all but two racecourses on 12 July as the seven year monopoly granted to Betfred on the acquisition of the Tote expired, but the agreement to enter into extended discussions has altered plans. britbet will continue upgrading technology and hardware across the 55 racecourses, along with the ongoing transfer of staff from Betfred to britbet, but the existing Tote brand will now remain on racecourses rather than the new britbet branding.Neil Goulden, Chairman of britbet, explained: “The britbet vision has always been very clear, namely to maximise the guaranteed investment for our partner racecourses and to ensure the racecourses take control of the technology pathway, product presentation and customer engagement on our courses to improve the entire pool betting landscape.“With those principles secured, we are able to explore ways in which we may be able to work with an invigorated Tote to deliver the best product and service for our racecourse partners and ultimately for racegoers. This agreement is clearly aligned with our “by racing, for racing” proposition and, thanks to the hard work of the britbet Board and team, I am delighted that we have secured those key aspects which now enable us to consider ways of working in partnership with others.”Fred Done, Founder and CEO of Betfred, said: “This is a significant step in the right direction for the future of the Tote and I look forward to seeing the continuation of the hard work and achievements Betfred have made in the seven years of our ownership.”Alex Frost, Chief Executive of Alizeti Capital and 25% stakeholders in the Tote, said: “I would like to thank Neil and the Britbet board for the immensely collaborative and positive manner in which discussions have taken place. Our team will continue to work with the britbet team to ensure the best outcome for the sport in the months and years ahead. As Together for the Tote we are committed to securing racing’s finances for generations to come through a revitalised Tote.”The danger with the introduction of another pool betting operation in competition with the traditional Tote is that the resultant loss in liquidity would lead to two weak horseracing pools rather than one strong one. The extending of discussions suggest that both parties are willing to discuss matters more realistically than perhaps has been the case in the past. Kansspelautoriteit enters into MoU with Malta Gaming Authority August 28, 2020last_img read more