Tag Archives 夜上海论坛WC

Badgers match best start ever with win over Panthers

first_img[media-credit name=”Andy Fate” align=”alignright” width=”336″][/media-credit]No motor will run without a spark plug, and on Wednesday night, it was Ben Brust’s turn to spark the Wisconsin men’s basketball team’s motor.Brust, with a perfect first half from the field and a game-high 18 points, lifted No. 4 Wisconsin (11-0) to a convincing 78-53 win over UW-Milwaukee (9-3) at home.The Badgers got off to a notoriously slow start, committing three turnovers and missing two shots before it made its first field goal with almost four minutes gone in the first half.“Our first four minutes tonight were something that we shouldn’t have had,” sophomore forward Sam Dekker said. “We came out flat, didn’t take the good shots and had a couple of turnovers.”The Badgers were able to survive their early-game slump thanks to a strong defense that held the Panthers to just two field goals in the first 10 minutes of the opening half.After Brust jump-started the Badgers with three buckets from downtown in five minutes, Wisconsin began to get on a roll making 10-straight shots from the field — not missing a shot for nearly nine minutes.“It was just a product of having some good offense – driving, kicking, finding guys,” Brust said.Wisconsin’s hot end to the first half was highlighted by a Traevon Jackson dunk over Milwaukee’s 6-foot-7 forward Malcolm Moore.“He’s always been telling us since the summer that he’s going to get some dunks,” Dekker said. “It’s his birthday too so he’s got a little extra pep in his step. That was a sweet finish.”On the back of Brust’s 16 first-half points and a team shooting percentage of 64 percent, the Badgers went to the locker room with a comfortable 45-25 lead.“You can’t spot the No. 4 ranked team in the country 20 points and in the second half think you’re going to  have a chance to really cut into a team like Wisconsin,” UW-Milwaukee head coach Rob Jeter said.The Panthers made an early second-half push making their first six of seven shots from the floor while Milwaukee’s Kyle Kelm did his best to keep the deficit within reach putting up eight points in the final half and a team-high 17 for the game.Brust and Wisconsin’s offense couldn’t keep up with its first-half pace — going 1-13 (7.7 percent) from beyond the arch — while the senior guard was held to just two points in the final 20 minutes.Wisconsin was able to keep distance with Milwaukee by finding points in the paint, scoring 22 of its 38 points in the lane in the second half.“I thought we worked extremely hard in the post,” head coach Bo Ryan said. “We knew we were in for a battle inside.”The Badgers’ big post presence, tough defense and opportunistic offense scored 28 points off turnovers to seal Wisconsin’s 11th win of the season.“I thought defensively we did a good job of getting our hands on some passes and creating some turnovers,” Ryan said. “I thought our guys did a pretty good job of getting deflections and turning those into points, and those are huge.”With Wednesday’s win over Milwaukee, Wisconsin swept the in-state series for the first time since 2010 and matched its best start (11-0) in program history.“Yay for the team,” Ryan said of his team’s 11 straight wins. “Our guys have played good teams and they get credit. You get credit for what you’ve done to this point.“It’s like in class, you do your assignments and then you get credit for them.  If you do them well you get stars on your paper or a pat on the back. If you stop doing them well everything goes the other way. So far up to this point they’ve found a way to get a lot of things done.”Though Wisconsin is ranked in the top five and owns a program-best record, Brust knows there is still a log of growing that needs to be done before his team is ready for conference play.“There’s no denying we’ve had a good start, being 11-o, but we still know that it’s going to get much, much harder moving forward,” Brust said. “The Big Ten is just something different … You have to remember that it all resets come January. But we’ve go to finish out what we have here.”last_img read more

Children with Disabilities preparing for Their First Competition in Swimming

first_imgChildren’s laughter can be heard at the Olympic Pool Otoka in Sarajevo where children with disabilities are socializing and preparing for their first club competition in the healthiest sport – swimming.Besides children with disabilities and difficulties, autistic children and those with Down syndrome are swimming as well. They are all part of the swimming club “Spid”, which is the first and only club in BiH intended for persons with disabilities.Nine months ago, swimming coach and master of the Faculty of Sport and Physical Education Amel Kapo noticed that people with disabilities come to the Olympic pool, but no one pays attention to them.He decided to establish the club in March this year for all persons with disabilities from five years old onwards, which today are practicing and training free of charge. Since rare institutions supported this project, the cost of the lease of the term at the pool are co-funded by several companies.“From March to now, we have a total of 45 members from all over BiH: Sarajevo, Kladanj, Visoko, Zenica, East Sarajevo… This is necessary at the national level, not only at the cantonal level. Our main goal is rehabilitation, re-socialization and inclusion of people with disabilities, to include them in all spheres of our society, without prejudice. There are also typical children, and the goal is to learn the basics of swimming and work together,” said Kapo.He claims that many children who were unable to move until yesterday, with swimming as a sport that increases endurance and strengthens muscles, are now independently enjoying in the water.Under the motto “We are all equal in the water “, they are training three times a week.“I really like to swim, because I’m not afraid of water, I have great time on training, we make super jumps. I have good friends here, I come to every practice. I am preparing for the competition, and I want to compete and to deal with swimming when I grow up,” says eight-year-old Borna Vasic from East Sarajevo.(Source: fokus.ba)last_img read more

Suspect in 1996 Khobar Towers bombing arrested

first_imgAhmed al-Mughassil , described by the FBI in 2001 as the head of the military wing of Saudi Hezbollah, is suspected of leading the attack that killed 19 U.S. service personnel and wounded almost 500 people. The June 25, 1996, bombing at Khobar Towers, a military housing complex, was the deadliest terror attack targeting U.S. forces since the 1983 bombing of the U.S. Marines’ barracks in Beirut that killed 241 American servicemen.Saudi paper Asharq Alawsat, which first reported the development, said he was arrested in Beirut and transferred to Riyadh.The Saudi Interior Ministry had no immediate comment. The U.S. official spoke on grounds of anonymity because this person was not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.Al-Mughassil, also known as Abu Omran, is one of 13 people named in a 2001 indictment in Alexandria, Virginia, in connection with the bombing. Charges include murder of federal employees and bombing resulting in death. None of the 13 has yet been brought to court to face charges, according to court documents.The lead prosecutor listed in court records from 2001 is James Comey, now the FBI director.In the Khobar attack, terrorists parked a fuel trailer truck just outside the shallow perimeter of the apartment complex, 85 feet away from one of the eight-story buildings. The blast demolished one side of the building, leaving a massive crater.The U.S. later moved its Air Force contingent to the Prince Sultan Air Base, a vast compound in a remote stretch of desert south of the Saudi capital, Riyadh.A U.S. federal grand jury indictment named 13 Saudis and one Lebanese man for the bombing, saying they were part of the Saudi Hezbollah terrorist group. That group was founded by members of the desert kingdom’s Shiite minority who fled into exile in the 1980s to escape what they said was persecution by the kingdom’s Sunni majority.The 2001 indictment placed heavy blame on Iran for nurturing the attack but stopped short of mentioning any Iranians by name or linking them directly to Khobar. However, in 2006, U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth ruled the Iranian government financed the bombing, ordering it to pay $254 million to the attack’s victims. Iran repeatedly has denied being involved.last_img read more