Can we afford to hand over our Constitution to be rewritten? The First Amendment clearly states that Congress is forbidden to make any law abridging either freedom of speech or freedom of the press. However, it’s very much on their agenda to alter the wording of the Second Amendment in order to “clarify” its language for how they want it to read. Will this change the amendment or eliminate it? That depends on how they favor to make these changes. One supporter wrote, “What’s needed is a way for the states to have the power to overturn Supreme Court decisions … a constitutional amendment could be written, for example, allowing a three-fifths vote of the state legislatures to challenge court decisions.” Once the convention is graveled to order, any and all parts of the Constitution would be open to change. Will the 38-state ratification process protect us from bad amendments being passed? One only need look at history to find the answer is no.Who attends this convention? Any sitting or former member of Congress, judges, or legislators can be delegates. This means there could be a group of people serving there making compromises with each other to get the amendments they want passed voted out to the states. It’s an unpredictable situation.All Americans should let the elected officials know that they are expected to support our republic and thus avoid an Article V Convention. Beth JacksonScotiaMore from The Daily Gazette:Schenectady teens accused of Scotia auto theft, chase; Ended in Clifton Park crash, Saratoga Sheriff…EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidation Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionDid you know that 28 state legislatures have applied for an Article V Convention — also known as a constitutional convention? Since 1787, America has chosen to avoid the risk of a new convention that could rewrite our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Now 28 state legislatures want this. If just six more states apply, Congress will be forced to call an Article V Convention.
Press Association Benitez made his complaints immediately after the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford last Sunday. The Chelsea interim manager claimed he had been waiting for Ferguson, who then completely ignored him. However, whilst there is little love lost between the pair, the United manager insists he would never ignore a handshake. Ferguson said: “It is absolute nonsense.” He continued: “Why wouldn’t I shake hands? Have you ever seen me not shake hands with anyone? “I never saw him. I was signing autographs at the front and there was an Indian lad who always wants to shake hands before a game because he says it brings me luck. “If he (Benitez) wanted to shake my hand he could have stood in front of me. “I don’t know why he has said that. It is nonsense.” Sir Alex Ferguson has branded allegations that he refused to shake Rafael Benitez’s hand ahead of Manchester United’s FA Cup tie with Chelsea last week as “absolute nonsense”.
It was another day of shame for boxing officiating, says an executive member of the Ghana Boxing Authority(GBA)The unhappy Authority are set to file a protest against the split points decision that denied Ghanaian Boxer Richard Commey a World title as he lost the IBF lightweight bout against American Robert Easter Junior in Reading, PennsylvaniaIn a close contest in which the Ghanaian dropped the American on the canvass in the eighth round insists their campatriot was given a raw deal.Alhaji Tawfif, an executive member of the GBA told the Graphic Sports that the authority was shocked by the decision – which he desribed as ”daylight robbery” – as it was obvious Commey won on the night.“All those who watched the fight including the GBA officials were convinced that Commey was the aggressor, who left his opponent with no option than to hold him (Commey) throughout the fight.“It was another day of shame for boxing officiating and we of the GBA are obliged to state our position and let the world know that the unanimous decision was a daylight robbery”, he added. Alhaji Tawfik contended that Commey paid the price for the inability to stage the fight in Ghana. “In fact, we had the opportunity to promote the fight in Ghana, but the GBA had no support from the Ministry of Youth and Sports.“Had the fight been staged in Ghana the story would have been different”, he argued.Commey is expected in the country tonight.
Twenty-one-year-old Donald Evans, who vends at the Route 44 bus park, on Monday appeared before Georgetown Magistrate Faith McGusty at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts after he was slapped with a charge of simple larceny.The charge stated that on December 30, 2018, at Lombard Street, Georgetown, he stole a cellphone valued $30,000; the property of Sheneza Knights. Evans denied the charge after it was read to him. Police Prosecutor Annalisa Brummell did not object to bail but asked that conditions be applied.Magistrate McGusty released Evans on $20,000 bail. The case will continue on January 16.
A young woman from Raphoe has been chosen as the Donegal Rose to go forward for the Rose of Tralee contest.Catherine McCarron was a popular choice at a gala function to choose Donegal’s rose at Harvey’s Point Hotel last night.TV3 personality Noel Cunningham interviewed the ladies and each performed a chosen piece. Catherine was eventually chosen as the popular winner from the ten finalists. RAPHOE’S CATHERINE IS CHOSEN AS DONEGAL ROSE was last modified: March 31st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Catherine McCarronRose of Tralee