Tag Archives 杭州夜网

Rajasthan passes Bill to give death penalty to child rapists

first_imgRajasthan on Friday became the second State, after Madhya Pradesh, to pass a Bill providing for death penalty to those convicted of raping girls of 12 years and below. The State Assembly passed the Bill seeking to amend the Indian Penal Code with the insertion of new provision by voice vote.A deterrentHome Minister Gulab Chand Kataria, who introduced the Criminal Laws (Rajasthan Amendment) Bill, 2018, in the House, said it was a “progressive legislation” aimed at protecting the girl child by laying down a deterrent punishment, including death sentence, to the offenders.“The Bill will become a law after it gets the Presidential assent. The Rajasthan Assembly has conveyed its feelings to the President. We hope that a similar initiative will be taken by other States and even by the Centre,” Mr. Kataria said after the House rejected a motion moved by some Congress members to circulate the Bill for eliciting public opinion.According to the National Crime Records Bureau’s 2016 report, the cases of crimes against children have seen a steady increase in Rajasthan. The State recorded 4,034 such cases in 2016, which was 3.8% of the crimes against children registered across the country. In 2015, the State had registered 3,689 cases of crimes against children.Mr. Kataria said the Bill had inserted two new sections, 376-AA and 376-DD, in the IPC.Section 376-AA provides for capital punishment or rigorous imprisonment ranging between 14 years and lifelong incarceration. Section 376-DD makes a similar provision for gang-rape of a girl child, while laying down death penalty or imprisonment from 20 years to lifelong incarceration for those convicted of the offence. Each of the persons constituting the gang will be deemed to be guilty of the offence.last_img read more

Extensions of agreements with big pay TV groups in
Extensions of agreements with big pay TV groups in

first_imgExtensions of agreements with big pay TV groups including Liberty Global, Altice and Dish Network, and strong growth in emerging pay TV markets helped push TV technology group Kudelski’s revenues and profits up significantly last year.Kudelski reported revenues of CHF950.8 million (€862 million) for the year, up 7.2% , or 11.1% at constant currency. Operating income was up 32.7% to CHF81.2 million, while net income was up 47.7% to CHF49.3 million.The company said it expected revenues of around CHF1 billion for 2016 and operating income of between CHF75 million and CHF90 million.Kudelski said it expected to benefit from solid momentum in key south-eastern Asian markets, with conditions expected to be more challenging in Europe and South America.last_img read more

Sports broadcaster Eleven Sports has struck a deal
Sports broadcaster Eleven Sports has struck a deal

first_imgSports broadcaster Eleven Sports has struck a deal with Portuguese cable operator Nowo to debut its channels in the Portuguese market.Eleven’s deal with Nowo follows its announcement that it would launch in the country following its acquisition of rights to all matches from the Champions League and Spain’s La Liga for the Portuguese market.Eleven said it would look to increase its rights portfolio going forward.Eleven’s Champions League deal includes 138 matches per season, from the final qualifying round and group stages to the final. It also includes the UEFA Super Cup – the annual tie between the winners of the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.The agreement with La Liga includes every match from Spain’s top tier of football.Eleven already has rights to La Liga in the UK, Poland, Belgium and Luxembourg.“We’re delighted to partner with Nowo to serve Portuguese football fans with our award-winning style of fan-first coverage.” said Danny Menken, group managing director, Eleven Sports.“Portugal is one of the most passionate football countries in the world. We know there is a significant hunger for world class football and working with Nowo will help us to make our premium action accessible for dedicated fans across the country.”Miguel Venâncio, CEO of Nowo, said: “This is a very important step that asserts Nowo as a decisive player in the sports market, allowing all Portuguese fans to access great sports content. The partnership follows our strategy to increase our penetration in the market, delivering new ways to access to premium content.”Nowo – formerly known as Cabovisão, has a share of around 5% of the Portuguese TV market.The rights secured by Eleven for its Portuguese launch are currently held by Sport TV, jointly owned by Olivedesportos, pay TV operator NOS, Altice Portugal/Meo and Vodafone Portugal, which also holds the rights to Portugal’s Liga NOS.Portugal’s leading operators – including Cabovisão as well as the Sport TV shareholders – signed a deal two years ago that was designed to ensure reciprocity in sports rights across their platforms.last_img read more

Facebook uncovers new global misinformation operations

first_imgFacebook said its latest action on Tuesday morning resulted from four investigations—three involving Iran, one involving Russia.The first focused on a group called “Liberty Front Press” that set up multiple accounts on Facebook and Instagram that were followed by 155,000 other accounts. The group was linked to Iranian state media based on website registrations, IP addresses and administrator accounts, Facebook said. The first accounts were created in 2013 and posted political content about the Middle East, the U.K., and the U.S., although the focus on the West increased starting last year, Facebook said.”The Iranians are now following the Kremlin’s playbook,” said Virginia Sen. Mark Warner, the top Democrat on the Senate intelligence committee. On Sept. 5, leaders of Facebook, Google and Twitter are scheduled to testify before the intelligence committee about their efforts to combat political disinformation on their social media networks.FireEye called the Liberty Front Press group an influence operation apparently aimed at promoting Iranian political interests “including anti-Saudi, anti-Israeli, and pro-Palestinian themes” and support for the U.S.-Iran nuclear deal.President Donald Trump withdrew the U.S. from that agreement earlier this year.While that group did not appear to be attempting to influence the U.S. midterms, FireEye said its analysis “does not preclude such attempts being made.” Several social media personas it found related to the group masqueraded as liberal U.S. activists who supported Sen. Bernie Sanders. One persona also used the Twitter handle “@berniecratss” and listed its location as the United States even though the phone number associated with it began with Iran’s country code, +98.The group’s activity included “significant anti-Trump messaging,” but FireEye said in a detailed report “the activity extends well beyond U.S. audiences and U.S. politics.”The second group also had multiple accounts and 15,000 followers. The group was linked to “Liberty Front Press” and attempted to hack people’s accounts to spread malware. Facebook said it disrupted those attempts.A third group also operated out of Iran had as many as 813,000 followers, and also shared political content about the Middle East, the U.K. and U.S.In all the Iranian-linked groups spent some $12,000 in advertising and hosted 28 different events.A fourth group that attempted to influence politics in Syria and the Ukraine was connected to sources that Facebook said the U.S. had linked to Russian military intelligence.”We’re working closely with U.S. law enforcement on this investigation,” Facebook said in a blog post .In late July, Facebook also removed 32 apparently fake accounts on Facebook and Instagram that collectively had nearly 300,000 followers, including thousands that expressed interest in events they promoted. Facebook finds ‘sophisticated’ efforts to disrupt elections (Update) In this April 4, 2013 file photo, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg walks at the company’s headquarters in Menlo Park, Calif. Facebook said Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2018, that it had removed 652 pages, groups, and accounts linked to Russia and Iran for “coordinated inauthentic behavior” that included the sharing of political content amid stepped-up policing of its own platform ahead of the U.S. midterm elections in November. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File) The social network said Tuesday that it had removed 652 pages, groups, and accounts linked to Russia and, unexpectedly, Iran, for “coordinated inauthentic behavior” that included the sharing of political material.Facebook has significantly stepped up policing of its platform since last year, when it acknowledged that Russian agents successfully ran political influence operations on its platform that were aimed at swaying the 2016 presidential election. Other social media networks have done likewise, and continue to turn up fresh evidence of political disinformation campaigns.Facebook’s action in late July against 32 accounts possibly linked to Russia generally involved U.S. political activity ahead of the midterm elections in November. By contrast, the latest group of apparently fake accounts appeared more intent on influencing U.S. foreign policy and regional politics in the Middle East.Shortly after Facebook’s announcement, Twitter revealed that it had also suspended 284 accounts for “coordinated manipulation,” many of them apparently originating from Iran. A day earlier, Microsoft also reported a new Russian effort to impersonate conservative U.S. websites , potentially as part of an espionage campaign.The social network said it had not concluded its review of the material and declined to say how or why the state-backed actors were behaving the way they did. But it said it has informed the U.S. and U.K. governments as well as the U.S. Treasury and State departments because of ongoing sanctions against Iran.”There’s a lot we don’t know yet,” CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on a hastily called conference call with reporters Tuesday afternoon.”You’re going to see people try to abuse the services in every way possible … including now nation states,” he said. He described the deception campaigns as “sophisticated and well-funded efforts that aren’t going to stop.”FireEye, a cybersecurity firm that alerted Facebook to some of this activity, noted that it “does not appear to have been specifically designed to influence the 2018 U.S. midterm elections, as it extends well beyond U.S. audiences and U.S. politics.” Explore further This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. Citation: Facebook uncovers new global misinformation operations (2018, August 22) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-08-facebook-uncovers-global-misinformation.html Facebook has identified and banned hundreds of accounts, groups and pages engaged in misleading political behavior, a far larger discovery than a “sophisticated” effort it reported three weeks ago with great fanfare.last_img read more

Toyota annual net profit drops by a quarter

first_img Toyota has warned that a no-deal Brexit would affect its plans This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. © 2019 AFP Explore further “But the outlook for the two biggest markets is now murky, while material costs are rising,” said the analyst.”Also, they can’t expect the one-time impact of US tax cuts, which temporarily boosted their profit before. Tough factors outnumbered positive ones,” he told AFP. Rival firm Honda also announced on Wednesday that net profit plunged 42.4 percent to 610 billion yen, citing losses related to reorganisation of the global automobile production in Europe. Sales rose 3.4 percent to 15.9 trillion yen. Toyota cuts full-year profit forecast, warns over Brexit The company forecasts net profit for the year ending March 2020 will grow 9.0 percent to 665 billion yen. The business environment for auto companies has also been clouded by the US-China trade war and continued uncertainty from Brexit. President Toyoda noted: “If you look at the world, the protectionist way of thinking is spreading. Just as natural resource-poor Japan cannot live alone, we, companies, cannot live alone.”Toyota executives have said previously there would be no way to avoid a negative impact in the event of a no-deal Brexit.The firm said its assembly plant in Burnaston in central England, which produces 600 vehicles per day, would be affected.The plant operates under Toyota’s famous “just-in-time” system, holding limited stock on site and relying on flexible imports of millions of component car parts from the EU.”If Britain finally leaves the EU, automakers are likely to accelerate relocation talks. It is natural for them to move to a profitable place,” Takada said.Toyota shares were down some two percent late in the morning but trimmed the losses by more than half at the close after the results and guidance were announced.This was mainly due to the announcement it would buy back shares for up to 300 billion yen, boosting the price.Toyoda said the carmaker’s main challenge was to guard against complacency in a fast-moving sector.”The most dangerous attitude is believing ‘Toyota is going to be okay’,” he said, since the company is faced with cut-throat competition in a rapidly changing world. Toyota booked record sales but its profits were stlil down by a quarter Profits at Japanese car giant Toyota hit the skids despite record sales, the company admitted Wednesday, although it said it expected to accelerate out of trouble in the year ahead. Citation: Toyota annual net profit drops by a quarter (2019, May 8) retrieved 17 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-05-toyota-annual-net-profit-quarter.html The maker of the Camry sedan and Prius hybrid said net profit was down 24.5 percent from its best-ever result the year before, at 1.88 trillion yen ($17 billion) in the year to March 31.Toyota’s bottom line was pushed down by some 294 billion yen in book losses on its investment portfolio.Senior managing officer Masayoshi Shirayanagi blamed “the deterioration of the stock market in the current period” for the investment losses. He added the figures also suffered in comparison with previous year’s 250-billion-yen boost from US tax reform.However, the firm forecast net profit to rise 19.5 percent in the coming year to 2.25 trillion yen.And sales rose 2.9 percent to a record 30.23 trillion yen, leaving an operating profit of 2.47 trillion yen, which was up 2.8 percent year-on-year.Akio Toyoda, the firm’s president, noted it was the first time a Japanese company had ever logged annual sales in excess of 30 trillion yen.The firm expects operating profit for the current year to March 2020 will increase 3.3 percent to 2.55 trillion yen. Sales are forecast to sag 0.7 percent to 30 trillion yen. “Toyota has cruised steadily, compared with its rivals,” said analyst Satoru Takada at TIW, a Tokyo-based research and consulting firm.”The firm largely showed a reasonable performance around the world at a time when the global market is slowing down,” he said.Brexit ‘relocation talks’Takada was less bullish on the outlook of the auto industry.Japanese carmakers have enjoyed a heyday in recent years with the North American market steadily recovering from the financial crisis of the late 2000s and China growing into a mammoth market, he noted.last_img read more

US delays Huawei ban for 90 days

first_img A Commerce Department filing said the delay does not change the ban imposed by President Donald Trump on national security grounds, an action with major implications for US and Chinese technology firms.Instead, it grants a temporary license that will allow Huawei to continue doing business with American firms.”The Temporary General License grants operators time to make other arrangements and (gives) the Department space to determine the appropriate long term measures for Americans and foreign telecommunications providers that currently rely on Huawei equipment for critical services,” said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. “In short, this license will allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile phone users and rural broadband networks.”The Huawei confrontation has been building for years, as the world’s largest company has raced to a huge advantage over rivals in next-generation 5G mobile technology.US intelligence believes Huawei is backed by the Chinese military and that its equipment could provide Beijing’s spooks with a backdoor into the communications networks of rival countries.For that reason, Washington has pushed its closest allies to reject Huawei technology, a significant challenge given the few alternatives for 5G.Last week, President Donald Trump declared a “national emergency” empowering him to blacklist companies seen as “an unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States”—a move analysts said was clearly aimed at Huawei.At the same time, the US Commerce Department announced the effective ban on US companies selling or transferring US technology to Huawei.It is the implementation of this ban that was delayed Monday by 90 days.But the Huawei fight is over more than just US national security. Washington sees Huawei’s rise as emblematic of China’s drive to wrest global technological and economic leadership from the United States. Explore further This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. US officials have issued a 90-day reprieve on their ban on dealing with Chinese tech giant Huawei, saying breathing space was needed to avoid huge disruption. Citation: US delays Huawei ban for 90 days (2019, May 21) retrieved 17 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-05-huawei-days.html © 2019 AFP Samsung shares rise as Huawei struggleslast_img read more

India largest employer in the world in tourism sector UnionIndia largest employer

first_imgtourism and leisure SHARE SHARE EMAIL SHARE February 17, 2019 Alphons Kannanthanam, Union Minister for Tourism COMMENT He noted that around 8.21 crore people in India were employed in the sector India is the largest employer in the world in tourism sector, Union Minister Alphons Kannanthanam said Sunday.He was speaking after inaugurating the ‘Eco tourism circuit: Pathanamthitta-Gavi-Vagamon-Thekkadi,’ linking the tourist places in Pathanamthitta and Idukki districts of the state.“Today, India is the largest employer in the world in tourism sector. Most of those who get employed are poor,” he said.The Union Minister of State for Tourism noted that around 8.21 crore people in India were employed in the sector.The eco-tourism circuit aims to protect the flora and fauna of Pathanamthitta and Idukki districts including places like Gavi, Peerumedu, a release said.This also includes development of roads, facilities for tourists, footpaths, and others. center_img eco-tourism ‘We are in continuous negotiations with the US regarding H1B visa’ RELATED Published on COMMENTSlast_img read more