Tag Archives 阳江夜网

3 County Education Officers Suspended

first_imgMinister of Education, Prof. Ansu Sonii Authorities at the Ministry of Education (MoE) recently set up a Special Taskforce to look into complaints from parents regarding un-prescribed fees charged by some public school administrators.As a result of the early findings, according to an MoE release, the ministry has with immediate effect, suspended three of its County Education Officers (CEOs), including, G. Samuel K. S. Bondo of Montserrado County 1, Moses S. Dologbay of Nimba County, and James G. Gaye of Margibi County, “for lack of oversight,” which led to disregard for policies within their controlled school system.According to the release, the suspension of the CEOs takes effect as of Tuesday, October 15, 2019. This action followed after an all-day deliberation held between the Senior Management Team (SMT), and Education Officers, who are the direct representatives of the minister within the counties.“Henceforth, all education stakeholders, and the public are advised not to transact any matters relative to education management or operations at the county level with the suspended persons until further notice,” the release said.The SMT’s engagement, which resulted in the above action, was predicated upon the officers’ lack of appropriate communication of changes made to the prescribed fees the MoE charged, which was stipulated in the 2019/2020 National Academic Calendar. The act on the part of CEOs was considered as disregard for direct instructions and policies of the MoE.Meanwhile, the Special Taskforce remains operational, and continuing the probe into complaints originating from other counties, as well as analyzing fees charged at private schools.The exercise for private schools, the release said, is meant to gauge details of fees charged over the last two academic years, analyze, and report the variance to determine if an increment or fees charged commensurate with the service provided.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Children poisoned, stepfather on the run

first_imgIn BerbicePolice in Berbice are on the hunt for a labourer who is believed to have poisoned the children of his girlfriend.The children have been admitted to the New Amsterdam Hospital and are being treated. A hospital source told Guyana Times that the children are being treated. According to the source Thursday night, while the condition of the children was considered stable, it has not been determined what chemical was ingested and in what quantity.“Sometimes, it could be something that would take effect until tomorrow or the next day…,” the hospital source commented.According to reports, the children were at home at Lot 36 Stanleytown, New Amsterdam in the care of a relative when a man who is known by the family of their mother visited. He allegedly gave them a beverage, in a bottle, which is now believed to have been laced with poison.It was after he left that the children complained of feeling unwell and began frothing at the mouth.They were rushed to the New Amsterdam Hospital and the matter was reported to the Police.This publication understands that the couple had an argument prior to them leaving their Angoy’s Avenue home.B Division (Berbice) Commander Ian Amsterdam confirmed that the incident was being investigated.Efforts to contact the children’s mother Thursday night proved futile. However, Guyana Times understands that the children were with their grandmother when the man visited.The woman refused to provide this publication with details. (Andrew Carmichael)last_img read more

Home building slowest since ’97

first_img160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The weather was blamed for part of the setback. November and December had been unusually mild while more normal winter weather returned to much of the country in January, depressing building activity. However, economists said the depth of the decline showed that housing was still facing major problems after a five-year boom that ended last year with falling construction and declining sales of both new and existing homes. David Seiders, chief economist of the National Association of Home Builders, said that builders were slashing sales prices and offering other incentives such as upgraded kitchens and free decks to move homes. “The use of incentives has not abated,” he said. “The percentage of builders trimming prices has been increasing and the use of nonprice incentives is expanding as well,” he said. The housing report showed that applications for new building permits, considered a good barometer of future activity, fell in January for the 11th month out of the past 12, dropping by 2.8 percent to an annual rate of 1.568 million units. WASHINGTON – Housing construction plunged to the lowest level in nearly a decade last month as the housing industry continued to struggle with a severe slowdown. Meanwhile, wholesale prices dropped by 0.6 percent in January, the biggest amount in three months, providing fresh evidence that inflation pressures are easing. Construction of new homes and apartments plunged by 14.3 percent in January, pushing total activity down to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.408 million units, the Commerce Department reported Friday. The decline pushed activity to the slowest pace since August 1997 with construction in January 37.8 percent below the pace of a year ago. The steep decline last month followed two months of construction increases that had raised hopes that perhaps the worst of the housing slump was over. last_img read more