WhatsApp Email Linkedin Facebook Advertisement MORE than €3mn is to be spent in Co Limerick on replacing 23km of watermain to avoid water being lost through the current leaky system. It comes a week after the Limerick Post reported that the city council was to spend more than €5mn on replacing 19km of watermains. This week, Phil Hogan, Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, approved Limerick County Council’s proposals to carry out extensive rehabilitation works in the County at an estimated cost of €3.065mn.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Minister Hogan’s stated: “It is difficult to justify major capital expenditure on new water supply infrastructure unless we also tackle high unaccounted for water levels in the existing supply systems. I expect local authorities to commence mains rehabilitation and replacement works with a value of over €320mn nationwide.”The Council intends to carry out the work to replace 22.865km of watermain along with 624 associated new individual services.According to the Minister’s department, common backyard services will also be replaced in accordance with the relevant Departmental Circulars.The rehabilitation works will tackle pipes that are ranked poorly in regard to age, condition, burst history and that have experienced level of service problems.“The Council’s priorities for water mains rehabilitation are to enhance the water quality, prevent mains failure, identify service pipe defects, improve pressure and flow, reduce interruptions to supply and address leakage and operational serviceability,” a Department of Environment statement said.The Minister’s approval now allows Limerick County Council to prepare contract documents for its water conservation proposals with the view to seeking tenders and having the works commence as soon as possible. Previous articleMcManus ‘embarrassed’ at latest honourNext articleCattle moved from farm under garda escort admin Print Twitter NewsLocal NewsFunds flow to fix County’s water systemBy admin – August 15, 2011 661
45 Views no discussions Share Tweet Share Sharing is caring! Share InternationalLifestylePrintTravel EgyptAir crash: Human remains discovered at sea from doomed Paris flight by: Express – July 4, 2016 66 people died on board the doomed EgyptAir flight(Express) HUMAN remains have been recovered by a search vessel at the underwater crash site of the doomed EgyptAir flight.Egypt’s aircraft investigation committee said the Mauritian-based ship John Lethbridge has recovered all of the mapped bodies from the sea floor and will later return to the crash site to look for more remains.The remains will be taken to Alexandria port and handed over to coroners and prosecution officials.The flight from Paris to Cairo crashed on May 19, killing all 66 people on board. The cause of the crash is still unknown.The Egyptian Aircraft Accident Investigation Committee said Egyptian and French forensic doctors on board the vessel oversaw the body recovery process.The remains are due to be examined by prosecutors and forensic specialists in Alexandria before going to Cairo for DNA analysis.The memory chips from the airliner’s black box voice recorders are not damaged and investigators should be able make use of them, according to the committee.Last week Egyptian investigators said the black box from the MS804 flight confirmed smoke was on board.Automated electronic messages sent by the A239 aircraft revealed the smoke detectors went off in a toilet and in the area below the cockpit moments before the plane disappeared.Investigators have also revealed that soot was found on a piece of wreckage from the plane.The voice and flight data recorders were recovered from a depth of about 3000m in the Mediterranean.The second black box, the cockpit recorder, is still being repaired in Paris.No cause for the crash has yet been ruled out, but aviation officials believe the cause is more likely to be technical failure rather than sabotage.