Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Garbrandt puts the bantamweight belt on the line when he fights T.J Dillashaw (15-3) in what could be the fight of the night on a three title-fight card.“We’re the real main event,” Garbrandt said.Garbrandt won the championship at UFC 207 when he battered Dominick Cruz, snapping his 13-bout winning streak with flair. Garbrandt repeatedly knocked down Cruz in the fourth round and handed him his first MMA loss since March 24, 2007.Garbrandt, a native of Uhrichsville, Ohio, was a competitor on the reality series “The Ultimate Fighter” for fellow Team Alpha Male teammate Urijah Faber when he famously shoved McGregor and they had to be separated. Garbrandt would later coach against Dillashaw on TUF.UFC President Dana White has said Garbrandt’s talent and remarkable charisma gives him the potential to become UFC’s most marketable budding star in 2018.ADVERTISEMENT Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Totally able FILE – Cody Garbrandt, right, celebrates as he receives his belt after defeating Dominick Cruz, left, in a bantamweight championship mixed martial arts bout at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Garbrandt is slated to defend his title against TJ Dillashaw on Saturday at UFC 217 at Madison Square Garden in New York. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)NEW YORK — Cody Garbrandt got a pair of championship pep talks in the week leading up to the biggest fight of his career: Kobe Bryant and Mike Tyson each stopped by for a motivational pick-me-up and to rub elbows with perhaps UFC’s next big thing.Garbrandt yearns to share more than championships with the stars — he wants to be stamped with the same greatness that defined them.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson UFC wraps up its first year of cards in New York with its second trip to Madison Square Garden. McGregor headlined a card last November that set an MSG gate record of $17 million.White said the sold-out 217 show should again rake in the cash.“We’re No. 1 here and this weekend we’re going to be No. 3,” White said. “New York’s been very good to us and we’re going to continue to come. We want to be No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 at MSG.”UFC also ran a show at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center and one in Buffalo. UFC seems poised to expand its East Coast footprint in 2018 with a card set for Boston and a possible return to New Jersey’s Prudential Center on the horizon.“This will be the biggest year in company history. We’re on track for the biggest year ever,” White said of UFC’s profits.COVER BOYMcGregor, the lightweight champion, was revealed Friday as the EA UFC 3 cover boy. McGregor shared the cover last year with Rousey. McGregor is coming off his richest payday yet in a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr., and said he wants a piece of the company before he returns to UFC.White was confident McGregor would return, possibly for a bout against interim lightweight champ Tony Ferguson.“As we go into negotiations with Conor, there’s always all kinds of crazy stuff out there,” White said. “We always get deals done with Conor. Conor has been easy to deal with, and we’ll get it done.” It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson “It humbles you to have Dana White and the UFC believe in you, finally,” he said. “I feel I am going to be the next superstar. However, that doesn’t put extra hype or pressure on me to fulfill those shoes. I go out there and perform. And look, I have fun fighting.”Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw could be the fight of the night, but here’s what else to check out at MSG:HISTORYJoanna Jedrzejczyk (14-0) puts the 115-pound championship on the line against Rose Namajunas (6-3). Jedrzejczyk is set to tie Rousey’s mark of six title defenses.With a win Jedrzejczyk would make UFC history — and maybe headline her own PPV card.“There’s no if. I will,” Jedrzejczyk said.GSP RETURNSSt. Pierre ends his four-year sabbatical to fight Bisping for the middleweight championship in the main event. St. Pierre was one of the UFC’s biggest stars and pay-per-view draws during his long reign atop the 170-pound division, but the Canadian star walked away in November 2013.“He looks impregnated by aliens,” Bisping said.NEW YORK, NEW YORK The 26-year-old Garbrandt, a tattooed tough guy with remarkable charisma out of Ohio, makes his first defense of his 135-pound title Saturday night at UFC 217 at Madison Square Garden.His rapid ascent up the card — on the strength of an 11-0 record — has him positioned as a fighter who could make the leap into pay-per-view headliner and gravely needed superstar.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogThe MSG card is headlined by two stars pushing 40 in middleweight champ Michael Bisping (38) and UFC veteran Georges St. Pierre (36). UFC mainstream stars Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey have no fights on the horizon. Jon Jones, perhaps the greatest pound-for-pound MMA fighter ever, is again out indefinitely as he faces his latest doping penalty.The cage door for a breakthrough star is wide open for 2018. MOST READ Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
MONTREAL – An Ottawa-based priest has been suspended after being named in a $2-million sex-abuse lawsuit filed on behalf of students who attended a Catholic boarding school in Quebec’s Eastern Townships.The motion seeking permission for the class action to proceed was filed on behalf of those who were allegedly abused while attending College Servite, a school in Ayer’s Cliff that was previously run by members of the Servite Order.The application still requires the authorization of a judge in Sherbrooke, Que.The lead plaintiff in the case, an unnamed 57-year-old man identified in court documents as X, accuses Father Jacques Desgrandchamps of abusing him between 1973 and 1975.Court documents allege Desgrandchamps, the man’s history teacher, had him sleep in his bedroom where he would sexually abuse him and ply him with alcohol.“The victim, which is common in these types of cases, wants to remain anonymous,” his lawyer, Robert Kugler, said in an interview.“It’s very difficult for him to speak about what happened and how it affected him and he has demonstrated tremendous courage by deciding to institute a class action.”The plaintiff’s decision to come forward was triggered by a recent ruling in a different case that did not involve Desgrandchamps and after he discovered his alleged abuser was still working, Kugler said.Spelling out the details of his own abuse will help other victims who need not come forward and identify themselves publicly for compensation, Kugler said.The action covers any alleged abuse that occurred before or after events involving the plaintiff.The alleged abuse took place in an area of the school reserved for religious members of the congregation, who allegedly turned a blind eye to the boy being in a restricted area.It is alleged they failed to assist him when he spent evenings and nights in the accused’s bedroom, which contained just a single bed.A dorm supervisor also failed to act despite it being clear the plaintiff was missing from his own bed, the lawyer said.“Nobody ever asked a question, nobody ever intervened, nobody ever assisted him,” Kugler said.He said when the case was filed, lawyers were convinced there were other victims. As stories have trickled out this week about the case, they’ve received several calls from other alleged victims.Desgrandchamps told Radio-Canada this week he taught at the school and did have sex with some students, but insisted there was no violence.Ottawa’s archdiocese has suspended Desgrandchamps and said in a statement that Ottawa Archbishop Terrence Prendergast is reviewing the situation in consultation with the Servite superior.“The archdiocese of Ottawa is deeply saddened by the allegations concerning a Servite priest residing in the archdiocese,” wrote Deacon Gilles Ouellette, a diocese spokesman.“Our diocese is committed to creating a safe environment in the church for minors and other vulnerable persons.”Desgrandchamps recently worked at St. Anthony of Padua Church in Ottawa.