The first of three dozen policewomen and social workers, supported by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), have arrived on the Indonesian island of Java to monitor child rights and trafficking issues and provide psychosocial support for children in the aftermath of last month’s devastating earthquake that killed more than 6,000 people.Speaking to reporters in New York today, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the move was part of ongoing humanitarian efforts to assist the victims of the 27 May earthquake, which measured 5.9 on the Richter Scale and seriously affected the provinces of Yogyakarta and Central Java, displacing at least 200,000 people.Relief operations continue to provide emergency shelter, medical assistance, clean water and sanitation, and food to survivors, and, to date, over 90 per cent of them have received treatment for their injuries from the Indonesian medical authorities and international partners, the UN Office of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a news release.Partners in the Emergency Shelter group have distributed over 17,000 tents since last weekend, but attention is now focusing on providing families with the materials and tools they need to repair and build temporary shelters. Some 45,000 tarpaulins have been brought in, and wheelbarrows and spades will arrive in the next few days. Around 400 tonnes of dried noodles, hi-energy biscuits and rice have been distributed to almost 200,000 people in the earthquake-affected area, and a further 860 tons of food will be delivered by UN agencies and partners, led by the World Food Programme, in the next three days, targeting 100,000 people in the most difficult areas. Food supplies from WFP have so far reached 173,000 people and a joint needs assessment is now being carried out to help determine where needs are greatest. Fifteen children’s centres are now up and running, with the help of the Government and various UN and other organizations, OCHA said, adding that policewomen trained to monitor child rights and provide psychosocial support have been deployed to two of these centres, and more are being trained.It is now anticipated that the worst of the emergency phase will be over in the next seven days, after which there is likely to be a period of sustained relief. During the remainder of the three-month emergency phase declared by the Government, the international community will work on early and medium-term recovery, OCHA said.
…father of 3 succumbs to head injuries…suspect in hiding Deceased father of three John ChoongThirty-eight-year-old John Choong of Lot 197 Singh Street, Sisters Village, West Bank Demerara (WBD) took his last breath at the West Demerara Regional Hospital on Tuesday and relatives are still trying to come to terms with the loss.Choong sustained head injuries during an altercation with a fellow player at a domino competition on Father’s Day. The suspect, said to be in his early 20s, has gone into hiding after he heard of the hire car driver’s passing. Up to late Saturday, he remained at large, Police confirmed.Choong, a father of three – ages 18, 13 and 7 – and a former Wales Estate worker, would often play dominoes at Sideline Dam, Sisters Village on the weekends.Reports are that sometime after midnight into Father’s Day, Choong and the suspect got into an argument. The suspect reportedly pushed the father of three, causing him to fall into a nearby drain where he hit his head.Choong’s brother-in-law, Faroz Rafiek, told this online publication that following the incident, a report was made at the Wales Police Station. He added that Choong was treated and received 10 stiches to his head before being released from the West Demerara Regional Hospital the very Sunday.According to the brother-in-law, Choong went back to hospital on Monday, June 18, to clean the wound. However, on Tuesday June 19, when he went again to clean the wound he was admitted to the hospital.It was disclosed that Choong’s wife, Zaheeda, was with him up to Tuesday afternoon. The woman has since indicated that her husband started to behave delirious before succumbing later that evening.Relatives, who are hopeful for action into the matter, gave a statement to Wales Police, informing ranks of Choong’s death. They also claimed that after making arrangements with them to go the mortuary on Wednesday, no Police Officer from Wales turned up to the post-mortem examination. Relatives however requested and later acquired a rank from Vreed-en-Hoop, who witnessed the autopsy. This publication learnt that the father died from trauma and cerebral haemorrhage.A Police source has since told this publication that Choong and the suspect had settled the matter before Choong’s wound turned septic. A probe has since been launched.Choong’s spouse is a housewife and it was said that she is very distressed over her family’s future. The couple celebrated 19 years of marriage earlier this month. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedMother of 3 stabbed to death by estranged loverAugust 25, 2019In “Crime”Suspect accused of severely beating father of 3 chargedJanuary 22, 2019In “Court”Police detain one over Belle West mechanic’s murderJuly 13, 2016In “Crime”